1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quest for a new Profession...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sparky1985, Mar 6, 2012.

1. <u>My loves</u>: reading, organising, anything IT based- typing, reports, making movies, graphs, filing, dance, eating (haha), family, working with children.
    Help me find something I will love to do...am reaching the point only 6 and a bit years into teaching where I just don't think I want to stay in it. I have done well, am SLT and regarded as a great teacher both by those in the know (other teachers) and the box tickers but the joy has slowly been sucked out of it. My days are filled with pointless meetings that end with another pointless meeting and so on. I hate the politics of it all and I hate how teaching seems to have become a profession where no one is allowed to say no even when its not your job...thats just being "difficult" as opposed to assertive.
    I really am thinking of finding a job elsewhere but I have a mortgage and as am currently on good pay I am worried if I take too much of a hit on pay I will not be able to pay all the bills etc.
    Any ideas?

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I would try another school first and look again if you still feel the same after that. I felt the same as you after 6 years, but got pregnant so that shook things up a bit for me. Wasnt suggesting that as an option, just meant a change is sometimes good.

3. You could start by reviewing your avatar?
    It was yours that made me come up with mine, as it happens.
    Anyway, money's not everything. Take a pay cut to gain your freedom.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I think it's inevitable that a downturn in the economy will be seen as the ideal time to implement new initiatives and change. Fewer people are prepared to stick their heads above the parapet and challenge it.
    I'm whole-heartedly behind you in your search for something worth doing with your life. Far too many people leave it until it's too late.

5. I consider myself fortunate to be gaining my freedom aged 47 - if I was a few years older, I might feel trapped.