1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Query: Work Visa Requirement for Spouse

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ajajnae, Jun 7, 2017.

  1. ajajnae

    ajajnae New commenter

    I would like to know if I were to be accepted for a teaching appointment in either of the following countries if my husband would be granted a work visa. He holds a Masters in Urban & Regional Planning from the University of Iowa, with a major in Economic Development Planning and minors in Transportation and Environmental Planning; and has 11 years experience in accounting and auditing along with a Bachelors of Science degree in Economics and Accounting from the University of the West Indies. Below are the countries related to my query about his ability to get a work permit/visa:

    - United Kingdom
    - Germany
    - Spain
    - Italy

    I look forward to your soon response.
  2. elledriver

    elledriver Lead commenter

    Does he not need the offer of a job before applying for a visa?
    lilachardy likes this.
  3. chelsea2

    chelsea2 Star commenter

    Whether or not he would be granted a work visa I have no idea. However, if he were granted one for, e.g. Italy, would it not therefore apply to all the countries of the EU?
  4. Flere-Imsaho

    Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

    Are you a UK resident?
  5. peggylu

    peggylu Star commenter

    Why would you ask this important information of people on an Internet forum? If 100 people said no or yes in answer to your questions and even offered some anecdotal examples to say why they thought this you would still have to go away and find out the exact rules and procedures from official sources.

    Why not look up the visa requirements on the online government information websites for countries you are interested in or telephone the relevant departments.
    chelsea2 likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

    FrankWolley Star commenter

    I believe in Germany overseas trained teachers have to satisfy the authorities in each state, so you would need to contact the state in question. I seem to remember that some, e.g. Bavaria, make it virtually impossible for overseas trained teachers to work there. But please do check this out...
  7. ajajnae

    ajajnae New commenter

    I appreciate all your responses so far. My challenge is that I am trying to assess whether it is worth my effort applying for a teaching job in the UK or any of the abovementioned countries if it's not possible for my husband to get a work visa that he may seek work in the country where an opportunity lies for me. I went to the UK immigration website but I have not received a clear answer; I was simply told how much money I would have to be holding if he entered as my dependent along with the sum required for health insurance. The frustration lies in the fact that when you call the High Commission in Barbados, where I am a citizen and reside, you get much pre-recorded advice, but you are never able to speak to a human being to ask a question. That's why I sought assistance from TES, who told me they do not know and encouraged me to ask the question via this forum.

    Interesting enough, the website to which I was directed indicated that the High Commission does not handle work visa matters. Could I ask one of you my teaching colleagues in London to call the Ministry and make inquiry for me? I know that it was possible in past years, but, as you know, policies change over time.
  8. dumpty

    dumpty Star commenter

    He can visit for up to 6 months as a tourist - it is when you/he want(s) to stay longer it becomes tough.

    https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview (This is based on you working here already)

    The very first and clear hurdle for you is finding the job and then who will pay for YOUR visa. If your employer then great, otherwise it is not cheap and they will take up to 4 months to grant it....not easy to find an employer that patient, I'd think.

    Citizens' Advice has a better round up than the gov, as you'd expect:


    My advice is get the job (and visa) for yourself first and let him come as a tourist. If you like it here he can then apply for the spouse settlement visa.

    Sadly, as a non EU citizen you are hugely discriminated against and it will not be easy. The process is deliberately cryptic and expensive so as to stop you.
    peggylu likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

    sbkrobson Star commenter

    I'm not sure the OP has been understood.
    This is the issue-
    they are not asking about working themselves.
    They are asking about their husband.
    It is immaterial to them for the moment (according to the actual enquiry in their post) how to source a job for themselves.
    They simply do not want to go to this length without first knowing about Visa entitlement for their husband.
    However OP, you are not going to get the information you need here as you fail to state your husband's nationality!?
    What is it?

    The short answer to your question is that the representative Consulate for your husband's nationality in each of the four mentioned countries will 100% be able to advise. I'd put the links here, but you fail to give your husband's nationality.
    peggylu likes this.
  10. ajajnae

    ajajnae New commenter

    He is a national of Barbados, like me.
  11. ajajnae

    ajajnae New commenter

    Thanks for your advice and frank remarks. I will keep gathering all the information on this issue that I can receive with the hope of getting closer to a full understanding about what is possible.
  12. ajajnae

    ajajnae New commenter

    The advice given on the citizensadvice.org website was very clear. I recognize some things stated are similar to what I saw on the British High Commission website here in Barbados. I do appreciate very much your effort to assist me. God bless you richly!

Share This Page