1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Query regarding g proposed strike

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chubbyone, Jun 14, 2011.

1. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

I am a member of the NUT and was wondering if 30th June does turn out to be a strike day along with ATL members where do I stand if on a course on that day? If the school has to close as lack of teachers then should I go on the course or not? It is a course that I need to do for my promotion next year? Thanks for any advice? Also a fellow teacher heard that if the NUT members do adhere to the decision about the strike because. It is roughly a half of the teachers only there may be a chance that school would still stay open and lots of cover g so to speak?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

NUT andATL have agreed. NAS are bound to follow suit. This means it's fait accompli and you're out on 30th. As regards attending a course...I don't know.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you are in a union that is striking, do you have to strike? Or can you choose not to?

4. I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

You do not have to strike ... however, IMO, if you are a member of a union and the majority vote for strike action then you should support that action.
    Carrie [​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not a member of a striking union, was just trying to gauge how many of my colleagues will be out. If lots, as I suspect, then will school close? What will the rest of us do if school is closed?

7. I suppose it depends how many staff in school are members of NUT/ATL I suppose. When the last strike happened they had to close my daughter's school as all bar one teacher were in a striking union. My school however is probably unlikely to close as there are only a few of us.

8. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Why? When they got me to sign up at Uni they didn't say 'join us, we love to strike all the time'.

9. The strike hasn't even been mentioned at my school. I am a member of ATL and I honestly don't think anyone is going on strike as I'm sure it would have been brought up by now.

10. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Unless it is different this time, usually once it's been agreed you have a vote at your own school with the members of the union.

11. The A Team

The A Team New commenter

If you are member of atl or the nut, please do strike! Don't let apathy get the better of you! By striking you are supporting the livelihood of all teachers!

12. I am shocked that anyone would NOT considering striking on the 30th. This government is disgusting and action needs to be taken against their decisions which continue to erode the professional standing of our reputation in this society.
    The fact they gave by name and by nature (Woodhead) a knighthood says it all!
    No teaching union EVER strikes unless absolutely neccesary and as a last resort and the fact ATL and probably NAHT will come out surely demonstrates the gravity of what the government are proposing.
    When the NUT came out a few years ago, one member at my school went in and believe me, she has never been forgiven!!

13. Which of the unions strike all the time? If you mean the union most likely strike, were you really unaware when they coerced you to sign up that they were the union most likely to strike? It must have been a cracking bag of freebies that year.

14. KJ333

KJ333 New commenter

We have a school trip booked for that day. Although the letters haven't gone out to the parents yet, I take it we shouldn't strike?

15. [​IMG] Funniest quote of the day!

16. We have a school trip booked for that day. Although the letters haven't gone out to the parents yet, I take it we shouldn't strike?

[​IMG]
    Why shouldn't you strike...because the little darlings might miss a trip to the zoo. You can take comfort in that when you're an impoverished pensioner who can't afford to turn on the heating.
    I despair!!

17. Shucks. And no disrespect to Milgod, I feel lousy that I am in a position wherein I have no choice but to strike. I work in an extremely demanding school and my family have sacrificed far too much already in order for me to do this job. The proposed changes are a slap in their faces as much as mine, and it is on their behalf that I will be striking for the first time.
    Who would want their child taught by someone willing to pay more (taking a direct, immediate hit on their take home) and receive less?

18. KJ333

KJ333 New commenter

Well it's not exactly that clear cut. The trip has been booked for ages and no chance of rescheduling, is important to the kids learning and the other 3 classes in the year group are going on Tues, Wed and Fri so it would mean my class missing out while the others still get to go. Agree with the strike if it was any other day but unless they can get a supply to go then I don't think I can just abandon the trip.

19. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I
    understand your problem because it is in our nature as teachers to think of how
    to do the best by the children in our care. However, as a previous post has
    just mentioned- we quite often (and I do generalise but I know few who don't)
    put school and the children’s well being before our own and sacrifice precious
    family time to go on trips, run after school clubs, hunt out resources, read
    books AND plan ect.

I think
    you need to have a talk with the other teachers at your school, gauge
    their opinion and ideas and have a good think about if it is worth putting your
    own needs and, eventually, life necessities before your class- my answer would
    be to strike and for once put yourself and other hard working teachers first
    (but I do sympathise)

20. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Regarding the question on members of non-striking unions, it is my understanding that you are expected to turn up for work, even if all the others in the school are not. If the school is closed, you can be directed to carry out non-contact tasks (that PE shed needs sorting, I'm sure...)