1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Query re handing in notice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by JessicaRabbit1, Oct 24, 2017.

1. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Hi

I am currently working as a TA and just before half term I secured a teaching job (I'm a qualified teacher that took some time out). I have to give a month's notice as a TA. My new school would like me to start as soon as possible, so in theory that could be beginning of December. My questions are:

1. I haven't received anything in writing yet to confirm the job offer. Am I right in thinking I should wait for this before I officially hand in my notice? I haven't told my current Head anything yet although she knows I went for interview and presumably has received the reference request.

2. If I receive confirmation in writing by early next week, say October 31st then in theory I could give my one month's notice so as to leave 30th Nov and commence my new job on 1st December. But technically, I would need to wait for DBS checks and also the new school do an occupational health questionnaire as well - and this process might take more than a month. So what happens if I hand my notice in on 31st October (first day back after half term, assuming I have the written confirmation) but then it takes longer than a month to sort paperwork?

Sorry - it just seems a bit more complicated than when I was a teacher and we had to give much more notice!

Thanks

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Firstly - congratulations on your new job. :)
    Do you have an email confirmation of the job offer? If not, then ask for this - perhaps send an email yourself confirming acceptance of the job and their reply is then your written confirmation. As you know, it can take several weeks after starting a teaching post before the actual contract comes through.

I would speak to the head at your new school and ask them about the best starting date. They should advise you how long it will take for them to complete the DBS check etc.

I wish you lots of success in your new post. :)

JohnJCazorla likes this.