1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Query over phased return

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mazpaz, Dec 9, 2015.

1. mazpaz

mazpaz Occasional commenter

Hi all could you please advise, I have posted this on the workplace dilemmas but have been advised this forum may be more appropriate.
    It's indicated that when I return to work it will need to be on a long phased return. I'm covered under the disability act but am not sure what this means in pay terms - assuming I'm still within the first 6 months of pay. I'm concerned for the school and their budget as well as myself of course and want to be prepared in case the longer phased return is turned down or indeed accepted.
    Many thanks
    Paz

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Whenever I had someone on phased return I paid them 100% of normal salary, even though they were working part time.

And I never counted the days that they didn't work as Sickness Absence.

However I cannot guarantee that every school will do that, so you need to check that out with your Head. Start from the premise that you WILL get this: I am delighted to be returning to school on the phased return basis. I understand that although I shall not be working full time, I shall now be getting a full salary and my days of agreed non-attendance or reduced attendance will not be counted as illness absence.

Best wishes

3. mazpaz

Thanks Theo - It's been very interesting (and stressful) going through my current situation and it has really highlighted that we as teachers have no real back up - it's all down to "if they want to". I really believe this should change so that there are strict rules that everyone abides by and therefore everyone knows where they stand.
    Paz

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Although I hear what you say, @mazpaz, actually the conditions for sick pay and sick leave for teachers are extremely generous compared with most professions.

So there is also that to bear in mind!

Hope the return goes well for you.

Best wishes

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Not my experience at all, paid on a pro rata basis reflecting the hours worked and delayed by over a month (over a Christmas period) in the first instance, then the days I was unable to work were added to my sick record. This was all accepted by both my union and HR.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My school's policy on phased returns was true amen from the LA policy and adopted by governors. It paid p by based returns at 100 per cent, but the phasing was limited to four weeks.

I'd be surprised if any school paid full pay for a prolonged phasing.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm going to assume autocomplete rather than vodka here, MM! ;)

Er . . . could you translate please? ;) ;)

Best wishes

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I hate it when I don't notice that the tablet has autocompleted! *Mental note to check before pressing 'post'.

My school's policy on phased returns was taken from the LA policy and adopted by governors. It paid phased returns at 100 per cent, but the phasing was limited to four weeks.

9. mazpaz

Update - Still on sick but hoping to be back soon. OH have requested a longer phased return and awaiting management to reply. Have no idea if my pay will be affected. In the meantime the school are advertising for a teacher - up until the end of the school year which would replace my absence, but I have found that out purely by accident. Nothing has officially been said so far. Trying not to worry....
    Paz

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thanks for the update, @mazpaz .

It looks as though OH are very much on your side, and that's good to her.

Yes, that would be an issue. they may take it as a continuation of sick leave, and pay at that rate.

Yes, I have seen that too. When I was left paralysed down my right side after being electrocuted by a high-voltage underground cable that wasn't underground (long story) I had 1 week in Intensive Care, 1 further week in hospital, 2 weeks at home (luckily all this was in summer holidays - some holiday!), I then had 3 weeks phased return, which was all that I needed.

I think that if the school tries to reduce your salary, you could ask the union to talk to them about the remaining days of 100% Sick pay ( assuming that you have any days left).

Sick leave and Sick pay

Best wishes for a complete recovery very soon

11. mazpaz

Thanks for that. I will have been off for 4 months if I go back when intended so I guess I would have 2 months to play with but even I hadn't intended on taking the phased return until the end of the school year! Surely I can't be forced into that can I?
    Paz

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I haven't understood this. Are you saying that you would prefer NOT to do a phased return? After so long away, it would make sense to ease yourself back in gently, you know.

Best wishes

13. mazpaz

Hi Theo
    Yes I do want a phased return but wasn't expecting to have it up until the end of the school year and financially couldn't afford it if it comes out of my wage. I suppose what I'm saying is that if my finances are to be affected do I have to stay in a phased return for that long. Does that make sense?
    Paz

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You'll have to wait to see what conditions they offer. They may offer full pay.

Hope you start to get much better very soon.

Best wishes

15. mazpaz

I have a meeting soon as they are now going through the "Absence Management" procedure, so I'll know what they will offer after that. I'm trying not to stress about it but it's hard. You read so many examples of people who are forced to leave their job, I just hope I don't become one of those statistics. I would imagine no Head would really want a person with long term health issues on their team even if it's covered under the disability act. :(
    Paz

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Keep strong @mazpaz, keep strong!

Best wishes