1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Query for our Scottish brothers & sisters...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MisterMaker, Feb 16, 2011.

1. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Forgive my naivity about what goes on North of civilisation...[​IMG]
    I've had a few applications from Scottish teachers spelling my job title as 'principle' (in case you didn't know, the correct spelling is Princi<u>pal</u>) Anyhow, it had me wondering whether the 'alternate' spelling is in use in Scotland, or whether most Scottish teachers are as bad at spelling as I am.

2. Civilisation, eh? Reminds me of a quote:

"Civilization; ancient and wicked..."

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

...and another question, why is your rugby team soooo c**p? You must be dreading the visit of the mighty Italians in March!

P

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

It must be a generation thing; definitely "principal" when I was a youngster but then again, Scottish education was good then (as was the rugby team)
    I thought we had a good game against France (although the French looked a different class) but what the #### was that against the Taffs?
    If they play like that again, it won't be the Italians that I'm dreading, it will be the local under 8 team!

5. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Infamy, Infamy - they've all got it in for me! Principal is correct Scottish or English. But ken the noo, baffies and speugs are a different matter! Lang may yer lum reek wi' ither fulks coal!

6. MisterMaker

From the feedback so far I think I'm safe to assume that the spelling quality of some applicants isn't so good; one being for an English (subject, not nationality) teacher post.
    I thought I'd ask I have noticed deputy is (mis?)spelt and depute in many Scottish ads.
    However, it is also clear that the alcohol problem associated with our kilt wearing cousins still exists in some quarters; Alpha is clearly as pessed as a nwt if he thinks he's making sense. Pure gibberish.

7. Hi MM,

You are quite correct, we often use the alternate spelling for 'deputy' and as such advertise for 'depute heads' (as shown below).

https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/fe/tpl_scottishportal01.asp?KEY=57728677&C=232325365436&PAGESTAMP=dbnfyyubsgxhiuityq&nexts=INIT_JOBLISTSTART&nextss=&mode=1&newQuery=yes&searchtext=&searchdivision=0&searchindustry=200&searchrefno=&formsubmit4=Search+and+Apply

As for the misspelling of 'principal', just as with the Scottish rugby team - there is no excuse! Pretty shocking, especially from an English (subject!) applicant!!

I think it says a lot that you were willing to consider the fact that there are variants across these islands though....good on you!

8. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Depute is also used in the Scottish legal system - advocate depute

9. For someone going through job applications at a very important time of year, you sure do have a lot of time on your hands [​IMG]

10. I suggest MM that you just throw all those applications out! You seem to enjoy the power.

11. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

If MM enjoys three minutes of 'down time' every now and then, to fire a rapid post, who can blame him?
    Medical research has conclusively established that you cannot consecutively read more than five applications from teachers without imperilling your digestive system and mental stability.
    A quick break is essential, and this is how MM and I cope with the pressure.
    Look at it this way - every minute that an SMT person spends at the keyboard writing abusive twaddle for the TES, is a minute that s/he isn't hectoring students, bullying colleagues, gatecrashing classrooms, posing for parents, lunching on expenses or writing even nastier balderdash, calling it 'policy' and parking it on the web site.
    There, that took two minutes and I'm ready for the fray once more. Or for lunch, anyway. Good new Indian place just opened nearby apparently: important that a representative figure from the school should show his face there, community outreach like.

12. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Alphaalpha:
    But ken the noo, baffies and speugs are a different matter! Lang may yer lum reek wi' ither fulks coal.

However please take note, slippers and sparrows are completely different word bases (this is from Fife by the way). The ''lang' bit is an old Scottish farewell, referring to the 'tightness' of some Scots who perchance stole coal from a neighbour's bunker.

13. Hmm. So speaking Lallans Scots is evidence of inebriation, is it?
    I suppose you Angles sobered up when your language stopped sounding like 'Se tha haban earan to gehyrrane, gehyrre'? Or maybe 'The millere were a stout carl for the nones/full big he were of brawn and eke of bones'?

14. MisterMaker

What are you suggesting? You insult us dear sir. We have never done such a thing and the tales of Mr C ring true just as much today as it did then.
    [​IMG]

15. MisterMaker

Maybe because it's nearly my nap time, but this doesn't seem to make sense. [​IMG]
    I didn't get where I am today by selling ice cream tasting of bookends, pumice
    stone and West Germany
    (Possibly most of my inspiration comes from CJ )

16. Don't you know? [​IMG]
    Cheers has opened.... [​IMG]

17. Cheers? What, "where everybody knows your name"? Given the nonsense about bringing the profession into disrepute in the Code of Conduct I'd rather go somewhere where they don't, thanks!

18. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Open you eyes, MM! If you do not love your home base -- what can I say!! BFG and FP ken aboot whit I'm saying!