1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quels sont vos films préférés à l'étranger?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lalala, Jun 4, 2011.

1. lalala

lalala New commenter

This topic has got me thinking about some fantastic films I have watched - I'm going to have to hunt them down to see again! Some I remember from long ago (at high school and being 'arty & sophisticated', watching foreign films in the middle of the night on the 'new' Channel 4!) and others more recent. Some I can remember off the top of my head:
    Ake and his World, My Life as a Dog, both Swedish.
    Summer at Grandpa's, Japanese I think, maybe Korean?
    Son of The Bride, Argentine.
    All About My Mother, Jamon Jamon, Spanish.
    Babette's Feast, Danish.
    Them, French.
    Pottering off now to look through my old videos and see what I can watch (recorded off the tv, so really ancient!)

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Betty Blue.
    Still blows me away.

3. Confessions was very good.

4. Cinema Paradiso
    Il postino

5. Wings of Desire
    La vie et rien d'autre
    le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain

6. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Departures. Yojiro Takita. A most beautiful and moving Japanese film.

7. Das Boot
    Il Postino
    Pranzo di Ferragosto
    Couscous
    Les Choristes
    Etre et Avoir

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I agree with 'Il Postino' and 'Cinema Paradiso' (Italy)

Also 'Persepolis' (Iran)

..and from Japan, 'Akira', 'Ghost In The Shell', and pretty much anything by Hiyao Miyazake.

I suppose Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Westerns might also fall into the World Cinema category.

9. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Another vote for 'Etre et avoir' and '... Amelie'
    Also - 'Run Lola Run' / 'Lola Rennt' (German).
    'Hedd Wynn' (Welsh)

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

les choristes, bienvenue chez les ch'tis. amélie, subway
    il postino (of course), la dolce vita

11. 37°2 le matin (Betty Blue)
    Diva
    Delicatessen
    El Orfanato
    Let the right one in (Swedish original)

12. Battle of Algiers. How could I have forgotten?

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

i once saw a naughty japanesse film...but i cant rememeber the title...and there was that dutch one.......but my mum made me get rid of it!

14. And the Vanishing. The original Dutch/French version. One of the best films ever ever.

15. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Some great ideas here.
    Volver is brilliant.
    Has anyone else seen Gazon Maudit? Very funny... I also like Maria full of grace, Diva, and Abre los ojos. There's so many great foreign films... oh and Downfall was incredible.

16. Can we have Sergio Leone's Sphageti Western films? These were Italian productions (or Italian German Spanish coproductions), filmed in Spain. Although the main actors were American, most the other actors were Italian, German etc and spoke their own language while filming, the whole thing being dubbed in english afterwards. Fantastic scores by Ennio Morricone.
    A Fistful of Dollars
    For a Few Dollars More
    The Good the Bad and the Ugly
    also the later A Fistful of Dynamite, love the Morricone score for this one, as well as for the other three
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Ab7vNhd18
    I'd like to add Once Upon a Time in the West, but I think that was more of a US production on the back of the success of the Dollar Triology, another fantastic Morricone score though.

17. Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West , Italians doing it with US money, so maybe can't count as world cinema, although was filmed mostly in europe, but fantastic Ennio Morricone score
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3N08c5E2Mc