1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Queensland floods

Discussion in 'Geography' started by lemonadi, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Is anyone going for it and putting together a case study on this yet or thinking it's too soon...I'm thinking of doing it and adding the final tally for figures in a bit

2. Is anyone going for it and putting together a case study on this yet or thinking it's too soon...I'm thinking of doing it and adding the final tally for figures in a bit

3. I can see your point about it being "live", but considering in Australia there is 24hr news coverage, it seems a little callous. But then distance from a situation gives a different perspective. I think you will need to consider the aftermath of this event which can't be done now. Not just the clean up but the ecconmic affect. The closed mines, the lose of crops and livestock, and the most devastating and least acknowledged is the loss of top soil.
    The other thing to consider is that the whole east coast is recieving higher than average rainfall and in the wrong season. My school had it's end of year trip to the pool cancelled due to poor weather. First time in living memory. The mid north-west on the West coast has also been affected by floods and heavy rain. Whilst the south of Western Australia is suffering devastating drought and fires.
    The best place to find currrent infomation if you aren't aware is the Australian Broadcast Corporation website abc.net.au. You will even be able to go to the local radio sites and get soundbites from those who are experiencing the floods.