1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

quarantine checkers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Sep 23, 2020.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Has anyone been contacted by them?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Only when my foil hat falls off.

elder_cat and nizebaby like this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

A hungarian friend was visited every day when she went home for the summer. We're halfway through our second round and nobody's been in touch.

colacao17 likes this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nope. We had a quick lunch in a chain restaurant last week and noone was asked for contact details. I emailed their head office. We stopped there for breakfast this morning and lo! contact details requested.
    It only works if everyone does it.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    jellycowfish and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Why? There is no requirement to quarantine when arriving from Italy,

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Please don't ruin this with facts again.

sodalime and ajrowing like this.
  8. LondonCanary

Oh. Sorry I forgot the Ts&C.
    Having a holiday and avoiding quarantine can be very demanding when booking and every Thursday,

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'd be interested to know what actually triggers contact about quarantine.

As mentioned in another thread, I filled in contact details for an outdoor garden venue where the only time we spent indoors was to buy the ticket and fill in the contact form with name and phone number, less than 5 minutes spent in a socially distanced queue, with masks on. Certainly less time than I'd spend at a supermarket checkout.

We didn't use the loo, the shop, or the tearoom. Just stayed outdoors and kept our distance. They keep the contact details for three weeks.

So, how often do they empty the box of contact detail forms? Every hour? Every day? If somebody arrived an hour or two hours before or after us then reported having a positive test, would they have to contact us? On what basis would they think I'd been close enough to them to pick up the virus? Why don't they operate a signing out system as well, so they know who's on or off the premises at any given time? If a staff member who works in the shop or tearoom or who cleans the loo tests positive whom do they contact? Everybody?

I'd love to know what the operating logic is for outdoor venues as opposed to indoor hospitality venues. Maybe there's thought to be no distinction, but on a scale of risk they're a long way apart.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

No.

I thought this question from the online form was rather amusing too. (My answer is the one selected.)

ContactingYouByTelephone.PNG

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

You are in danger of believing there is a rational well-organised system to all of this. In fact it is more about the appearance of a system to keep up a notion of firm action. Don't spoil it

Screenshot_20200923-175838-01.jpeg

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Our GP surgery, as I imagine to be the case with most these days, has been trying to encourage its patients to do as much online as possible, such as booking appointments and repeat prescriptions. They also have test results on there, so when my sweetheart had a look to see what a recent blood test found, discovered several items flagged up as abnormal.

She wanted to book a chat with one of the GPs to discuss what they thought it meant and found the form requesting the appointment went on for eleven pages, but got stuck on the last page and required something to be amended before allowing the submit button to become active. I discovered what the problem was and adjusted the relevant field for her before she lost her temper and smashed the computer.

The problem revolved around the telephone number, which required the country code in one field and the phone number in the next. The country code field is pre-populated and defaults to the UK. She's entered the phone number as it would be dialed from withing the UK, without realising that because the country code was required, the zero at the start of our home phone number isn't required. How bleedin' stupid is that? How are elderly people lacking computer skills supposed to pick things like that up?

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Does her GP practice get a lot of overseas calls?

sodalime likes this.
  14. LondonCanary

I think, you're being a bit hard on her.

Doitforfree and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  15. modelmaker

It's possible they might get the occasional one if someone is on holiday. What I suspect is more likely is that whoever developed the software had hopes of selling it internationally. It will just be a generic package the surgery bought or leases; and has some parts tailored to make it appear like it's unique to the surgery.

sodalime likes this.
  16. EmanuelShadrack

An oversight on behalf of the developer(s) (who might well have been outsourced, and hence inexperienced or uninterested), and poor job on the part of the testers. Bugs like this should be picked up well in advance. If changing it is deemed too much work, for whatever reason, there should at least be an attached note, explaining the problem and explaining the workaround.

sodalime and modelmaker like this.
  17. modelmaker

I understand how it happens, also why the NHS thinks it needs to use the technology, but the drive to keep pace with technology rarely takes into account the needs of the vulnerable. I shall write to the surgery tomorrow, explaining the issue my sweetheart had, because the surgery is used by the elderly people I have a responsibily to keep an eye out for. It's anyone's guess whether anyone will take notice.

On a separate matter, the portal is called Patient Access, which my sweetheart initially typed into google, found the site, entered her login details and was let in, but couldn't find the part she needed. So she rang the surgery. The receptionist told her she couldn't help her with what she wanted to know about her blood test but suggested she visit the website and when told my sweetheart had been on the bloody website for ages and couldn't find what she was looking for, the receptionist asked whether she'd accessed Patient Access via the surgery website.

She tried it the way the receptionist suggested and lo, she found what she wanted. This stuff isn't intuitive, is it? No matter how computer literate we are, young or old, we didn't ought to have idiotic stumbling blocks like this to contend with, did we?

It's almost as though it was developed by the Tory party themselves, or a mate Cummings had a word with in the pub, who promised to add it to a list of projects such as sorting out an alternative to the European Galilao navivation system, providing PPE to the NHS, cheap legal advice on how to avoid the commitments made in the withdrawal agreement made with the EU and anything else within the pillock's radar.

It's becomes more obvious as each day passes, that Dominic Cummings stops off for a pint in the Nag's Head in Peckham on the way home from work, to have a word with Del Boy to see what he can come up with. What's more of concern is that he seems to mostly write down what Trigger says, presumably because he thinks weidos and fruitcakes have the answers we need.

18. EmanuelShadrack

Navigating counter-intuitive and downright buggy websites is a bit of an art. It gets easier with experience. I've helped countless people go through various online submissions. Often the tech support refuse to believe there's a problem, till you send them screenshots of the error, and then they finally realize the problem is at their end.

Just yesterday I was making a booking on this particular website. I'm registered on the site, but the booking wasn't available via the members' options. I had to log out, go through the non-members booking procedure, and then enter my membership card number (not my login) later on. Eventually it worked, and I got the confirmation email.

Even now my membership portal reckons I have no bookings. I put the app on my smartphone, and it has the same problem (unsurprisingly, as I expect that too is linked to my login). No wonder it's rated 2/5 on the Play Store, and I haven't yet seen a rating other than 1/5.

So, I've had to print all the confirmations out, for when I actually need to use them. Calling them in person is useless - it's all just automated, redirecting you to the website.

I'm thoroughly used to this sort of nonsense though. That's the key mindset I think - don't expect anything to work. Then if it does, you're always pleasantly surprised.

sodalime likes this.