1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quantity of work dwindling for Supply Teachers?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by zarathushtra, Nov 20, 2019.

1. zarathushtra

zarathushtra New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing supply work for many years now and although FE trained the majority of my work in in secondary schools teaching science and maths.

I've had a poor start this year and refuse to work as a cover supervisor. Can anyone else tell me if they are getting regular work as a teacher or has it been a similar situation for others too?

Any advise?

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. steviepal

steviepal New commenter

I work in primary in Sheffield. For me it's much the same this year as last. Pretty poor. Most of my work is in one Academy chain in Sheffield who are still using supply teachers "'like the olden days", but if it wasn't for them I'd be royally screwed. Luckily I have another income stream. I've been riding the supply gravy train for 18 years but now the wheels have fallen off.

3. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I have noticed that this year, the work is poorer and even the number of permanent roles advertised is well below normal years, I wonder what the future holds and when will the schools wake up to the fact that sooner or later there may be no supply teachers available in the future,what will happen then? more unqualified cs covering lessons?

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@historygrump: The number of vacancies falling, despite the supposed 'desperate shortage of teachers'. It just does not add up, does it? o_O

5. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

I don't understand how unqualified cover suppliers can be in lessons when ITT students can't be lessons on their own because they're not qualified. Can anyone enlighten me?

clairemullen and MissGeorgi like this.
  6. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

Together with ' we are expecting too many applications for this position to be in a position to give feedback' …..

Jolly_Roger15 and agathamorse like this.
  7. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

Apparently as I know it, academies are not covered by the regulations and can use staff as they see fit and council controlled schools just ignore them, because they know parents do not realise what is going on, the Dept of Education like to pretend that schools follow the rules set down by the government. When you hear about TA's taking lessons and pretending to be teachers to the parents, something is not right. I have read on this sites , in the past TA's stating that they are teachers (despite not having trained to teach and some without any qualifications) because the school and government let them teach. That is why education is in such a mess and support staff are quietly teaching.

8. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Pretty busy in Warwickshire, but I put my foot down and refuse any TA or CS work. So they give me teaching work. But I offer languages which is very much in demand...

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I teach science in London, which i supposedly in demand, and i get nothing.

10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I had an argument with someone a few months ago. They were bragging that their daughter was a Maths teacher in a Secondary school. I told them that they were actually a TA, who had no formal qualifications at all.

MissGeorgi and agathamorse like this.
  11. cerneiris

cerneiris New commenter

I do primary in London, when in previous years I used to be fully book, now I do 2 or 3 days per week, and some of these days TA work. Really bad.

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  12. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

Is it all going to come crashing down upon itself at some point or is that the supply teacher in me being too hopeful?

13. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Up and ready by seven - breakfasted, lunch packed and ready to leave ASAP. It’s now 8.15 without a call so think I’ll change out of my work clothes and take a walk into town. I really do not like the early morning calls but pre booked isn’t happening at the moment. Very depressing- until now I could always expect work if I took the early calls.

peakster, agathamorse and Jesmond12 like this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I do everything that you do apart from putting work clothes on as it only takes me 5 minutes to change. It is disheartening not getting a call.

15. BertieBassett2

I wear different clothes when I work - dresses, tights/leggings, cardigans whereas at home I slob about in jeans. I need more time for my work clothes!
    All is not lost though - I have Friday booked at my favourite school! I’ll see if tomorrow brings anything.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

Hi like you I was FE trained and sympathise. I've had 8 days' work so far (mid/end November 2019) since September. My agencies have indicated that there isn't much work around so far.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One of the little pleasures of being on supply was when you didn't get a gig you could go for a walk. In my first few weeks on supply this happened a lot. I used to take a load of bread and stuff and walk a couple of miles to the nearby reservoir and feed the Ducks (and the occasional Swan).

I miss that now - I try and make a point of going once or twice in school holidays.

We had a couple of our "regular" supply teachers back in today for the first time this year

18. Prior to Friday I'd only had one day of teaching since the October half term. I had a full day booking Friday, full day yesterday and today and one booked tomorrow. All prebooked and all lovely schools. Here's hoping it continues along these lines until Christmas! So thankful after weeks of being up and ready for 7:15 and then nothing. Hope it improves for everyone else :)

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Looks like work is picking up again at last

20. BertieBassett2

I think you’re right, Peakster. I have tomorrow pre-booked at my favourite school and I'm going to break a long habit and make myself available on Monday for an early call.

agathamorse and Jesmond12 like this.