1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quandary...

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by MissHallEnglish, May 20, 2016.

1. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Let's say, hypothetically, that you've been uploading resources as and when you can & you've been thinking very carefully about the wording of your resource description, to make sure it is informative & useful to a potential customer. We also might imagine these resources are selling relatively well.

How might you then feel, (hypothetically of course) for another author to have copied some of your resource description (not all but it's clear to see the bits that are) into their resource description?

Let me be clear, I don't have a problem with similar resources - this will be inevitable and healthy for TES and teachers, but should I be able to distinctively see my descriptions elsewhere?! (Hypothetically, of course...)

Ideas/comments/suggestions welcome.

mathsmutt likes this.
  2. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hmmmm... this is a tricky one, seeing something that works and using it could be seen as good business sense, however I can see it being annoying if you worked on it and someone else used it. Personally I dont worry too much about description because I feel that customers responded to the products more than the description... just my opinion.

mathsmutt likes this.
  3. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

4. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi @cate_h ,

On the one hand,"Imitation is a kind of heartless flattery"(Eustace Budgell,1714) ,
    "Imitation is the sincerest of flattery"(Charles Caleb Colton,1820), so your consideration to wording has proven successful.:)

On the other hand, we are supposed to be
    professionals,so it must really grind - particularly as an English teacher - to (hypothetically )face being plagiarised.:mad:

Solutions ( no particular order)
    Be happy that they feel the need to copy your success and take no action.

Send a private message to the TES author involved.

Review the product.

Contact TES.

cate_h likes this.
  5. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I think there are sites that can pick up on 'plagiarism' e.g. for exams - how much copying is definitely a lift etc. If one is getting picky about copied stuff whether it's an image or text I think an informal cease-and-desist type note is definitely called for; but maybe on TES it could be couched in fairly friendly terms and direct to the OP before asking for official intervention.

mathsmutt likes this.