1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quality of planning to be RAG rated

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by BigFrizz, Nov 17, 2018.

1. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Or they believe as my new line manager once said to me that we have to be seen to be doing something (shown by written evidence) and that learning is about jumping through hoops. This kind of ridiculous idea is also another opportunity for leaders to show how fantastic they are by finding an EBI and fixing it. Kill 2 birds with one stone by promoting fantastic teacher development and improving learning. Pah!

2. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Or, it’s what OFSTED or ISI want which teachers like us who bother to read know is total codswallop but we’re minions and know nothing.

3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I like minions. :)

They are often the unintended stars of the show.

upload_2018-11-19_8-2-42.gif

ATfan, Piscean1 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

1. Are the results and behaviour good? Is the planning apparently negligible? Did the teacher say s/he has it all in her head? No planning apparent on paper.
    2. Results and behaviour less good? Planning on paper looks great?
    3. Results and behaviour less good? No planning to be seen?
    4. Results and behaviour good. Lots of paper planning?

(By planning I refer to short-term lesson plan. Medium-term plans obviously have to be written.)

Back to numbers 1 to 4.

1 and 4 are fine.
    2 and 3 are not.

1 is good but so is 4. In one case there is abundant paper-planning. In the other none.
    2 and 3 are not good. One case shows extensive planning. The other does not.

So what does this tell us about meticulous plans on paper? Does it tell us that such plans are essential to good work and behaviour?

5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

But if they only teach one lesson a week, then they might very well be able to do this...
    Do you all still have those paper planner books with an inch or so for each plan? We had them. Marvellous! You've cheered me up-so not every school is like the poor OP's yet.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Haha we had those! Each lesson gets a small box to plan in - so that’s what I did and my school were thankfully sensible enough to trust that that was ok. Apart from lesson obs of course where reams of paper were needed.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. drek

drek Star commenter

Yes you have an absolute right to challenge. Read the dfe workload document. If I were you, I would apologise with a puzzled face but say you were keeping abreast of current educational documents on the dfe.gov website and came across this.
    Take it to the meeting and underline actions recommended by the dfe which support the questions you asked.
    Perhaps they have not yet read it? You might be doing them and your school a favour by diverting a workload crisis.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ad-around-planning-and-teaching-resources.pdf

agathamorse likes this.
  8. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

I have chronic nerve pain in my back so refuse to use them-just an 3xtra weight to carry around that I don’t need. I do my planning electronically. E.g. Using my mobile phone notes app.

9. drek

drek Star commenter

leaders who insist on this nonsense never bother to consider that one teacher might have to prepare 46 different academic lesson plans a fortnight based on the subject and curriculum to be delivered, compared to another teacher who is teaching 20 hours of a coursework assessed programme a fortnight and who will have more free time and energy to prepare theirs and then rag rate them!

It’s one of the reasons that some subjects and some departments constantly have to recruit new staff........

They need to stop assuming all teachers have the same amount of planning time.... the same amount of academic and data entry and analysis time.....the same amount of students with send and pupil premium categories and the same range of abilities and behaviour disorders!

It can be vastly different for two people even in the same department.
    It results in uneven workload and stressful conditions.
    So far the victims of the unfair workload divisions were often blamed and career managed out for reasons definitely not within their control.

It’s time education managers in the UK were trained properly........ currently they don’t have to take this into account when they change policies every half term.
    The effect of even a single change can be drastic on a teacher with 46 hours of teaching a fortnight combined with the evidence they have to show and the surveys they then have to fill to give their managers praise for coming up with yet another time consuming idiotic idea.
    Insane......

agathamorse and ATfan like this.
  10. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Tsunami of BS ...this is far more useful a term to remember that the utter BS you have been asked to produce. So someone actually will check this ? I bet they don't. Staff should collectively question this and NOT give in . What on earth will it prove ?

agathamorse likes this.