1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quality of degree

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by azzie, Jan 17, 2016.

1. azzie

azzie New commenter

My daughter is in her final year of a teaching B Ed. She is dyslexic and has struggled to get through the essay/dissertation writing but has good placement references and loves teaching. She is qualifying in Early Years and her use of language/written English is well above that need to support KS1 or 2. She is however concerned that prospective employers will not look at her unless she has a 2:1 which realistically she will not get. What do any senior leaders think? Is it better to just put B.Ed on a form and not mention the class of degree? Do Universities menton the class on a reference?

Any advice please.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The job situation depends upon the local market- if the schools are expanding there are more opportunities- she is going to be applying from now before the final grade is awarded so the quality of her teaching practice and the university reference will have more weight.
    Its just the Government who are obsessed with academic grades which anyway do not reflect teaching ability.

Middlemarch likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

As a university, no, we don't refer to the degree class in our reference. For trainee teachers, they all get a job before the award anyhow.
    I should point out that I train (some) English teachers with dyslexia. Teachers who make dyslexic errors on the board when they write. And that does not stop them from being amazing teachers nor does it stop them from getting a job.
    2:2, 2:1, 1:1, whatever - these are schools and they bring people in to watch them work with children for a reason. Everything is about their professionalism, their understanding of educational ideas and their ability to work successfully with children of their phase and context.
    I frequently tell my trainees that each vacancy is unique. A school will require different skills and abilities depending on the type of hole they have in the timetabling and staffing. Successful candidates are not the best teacher on the day. They are those who best match the hole in the school's staffing list.