1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quality of degree

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by azzie, Jan 17, 2016.

1. azzie

azzie New commenter

My daughter is in her final year of a teaching B Ed. She is dyslexic and has struggled to get through the essay/dissertation writing but has good placement references and loves teaching. She is qualifying in Early Years and her use of language/written English is well above that need to support KS1 or 2. She is however concerned that prospective employers will not look at her unless she has a 2:1 which realistically she will not get. What do any senior leaders think? Is it better to just put B.Ed on a form and not mention the class of degree? Do Universities menton the class on a reference?

Any advice please.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The form will demand the class of degree and she must complete that part. It's not true, however, that heads will not consider anyone with less than a 2:2!

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I take it that she has passed the skills tests no problem?

4. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I don't have an honours degree, and it has made it difficult to apply for some jobs as they stipulate a good honours degree in their essential requirements. I just don't apply for them.

However, I have through supply built up excellent references, and tbh, if people are that hung up on it when I have a perfectly good PGCE, then so be it. When I was finishing my PGCE a job came up at my placement school for which I applied, and I wasn't shortlisted because of this reason. Shortly afterwards my mentor gave me my final observation, and used words to the effect that it was a shame they hadn't shortlisted me because my lesson was excellent. :) Made me feel better anyway!

She'll get there. Most heads I would have thought are more interested in the quality of teaching than anything else. We all know of people with qualifications up to their ears, and are useless in a classroom. Music teacher in school had a 2.2, and is now deputy head of a big secondary school.

ValentinoRossi and Middlemarch like this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some schools ask for 2.1 or above (Good Honours degree). Some even ask for Outstanding teacher.

They don't always get them.

Your daughter need not worry, as long as she has passed the Skills Tests.

Best wishes

6. azzie

azzie New commenter

Thanks she passed the skills test without problem.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There you go then!

Best wishes

8. therunningman

therunningman New commenter

I ended up with a 2:2 BEd and got a few interviews before finally securing a job. For the jobs I didn't get, I am certain it wasn't the level I achieved that made the difference, but just that I didn't quite fit what the school were looking for, or more to the point, someone else fitted it better.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I think some schools that specify a classification of degree, even specifically a first, especially for promoted posts, just don't have a clue, as having a 2:1 doesn't make you and excellent teacher or communicator.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Gawd, no! I've known some real disaster areas with firsts - and the two best teachers I've ever known both qualified without a degree (in t'olden days before you had to have one).