1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quality consultation on Tes resources

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by tesAuthorTeam, Feb 5, 2018.

1. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

At Tes, we want to work more closely with you, the community, as your feedback will be invaluable in determining the measures and strategies we introduce to drive up resource quality, so Tes can continue to be a trusted place for teachers to get their resources. For further detail and context please visit the original thread.

What quality is and what it means to you

We recognise that defining precisely how to measure the quality of a resource is highly subjective, and have had many debates internally and with teachers about this! In summary, members of the community have said that at a high-level a quality resource should be:

- accurate: in terms of content (as titled and described)

- proofed/checked: not containing typos, no low quality/poor resolution artwork - maintains visual quality when printed/displayed on screen

- adaptable: so resource(s) can be easily used by those needing them

- complete: providing what is necessary to use them (guidance, solutions, examples)

- organised: being easy to navigate and use (clearly labelled, in folders)

There have also been discussions about expectations for resources if they are free or paid for - should these expectations of quality differ? Tell us what else you expect from quality resources and how we at Tes and the community can ensure these needs are met.

Copyright and plagiarism

We want to do more to ensure uploaded content on Tes is free of copyright and plagiarism, including looking at how we can provide better support to authors in understanding the rules around copyright; there is much more on this to come. As a community platform we don’t take legal responsibility for the content shared, and operate a takedown policy in the event of any reported infringements. It is important to be realistic that as a community website we cannot implement or fully achieve solutions without your help. There has been feedback from authors about having groups of teachers who help with tackling copyright and plagiarism, and we’ll be exploring ideas around this. We appreciate your vigilance in raising concerns and welcome any further ideas around these issues. What are your thoughts on this?

Reviews

We always encourage users of Tes to leave reviews on the resources they download or buy. We want to improve these systems so more members of the community leave reviews and provide further information that can be helpful to authors, for example: whether a resource was used in class, if it met expectations, if the students responded positively, or if it was adapted or developed by the teacher to meet their needs. This information is invaluable to the community and we encourage everyone to leave feedback. Tell us what you think of the current review system. Do you leave reviews? If not, what stops you from doing so? We have heard from members of the community that they would like to see a system which rewards leaving reviews. Would you be more likely to leave reviews if there was some form of reward system in place?

We welcome your feedback on resources and quality, and any other points you wish to make on these topics. Please share your views, experiences and your suggestions below. Thank you.

2. TchrAllan

TchrAllan New commenter

Hi there.
    I am interested in designing teaching resources for English in secondary schools and selling them online through TES. However, before I do this, I would like to have advice on how and where to start. I have already designed some quality poetry materials, but I do not know how to go about things like: who to contact on TES; how to price them; how to protect my copyright etc. Please help.

Thanks.

cys2017 likes this.
  3. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

@TES_Rosaline can you help with this?

4. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @Kangethe, you can find out more information here. Fill in the online form to get more details.

Thank you @cys2017.

cys2017 likes this.
  5. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

I occasionally use MFL resources. Usually I go for the free ones, but I have occasionally paid for some, which have seemed really well-constructed.

I think that there is a difference in expectation: if I pay, I expect first-class work, without errors. That has been so in all but two cases, one where the resource most certainly did not live up to its hype, and the other where there were a few silly mistakes.

As regards the free ones, they range, in my opinion (and in that of my colleagues too) from absolutely first-class to appalling.

Some I have looked at are so poor, especially grammatically, that it has been hard to believe that the author had even passed a GCSE in the language, never mind a degree or a PGCE, and one shudders to think what their lessons are like.

But the best ones can be truly inspired and inspiring, and a major help, even if they need to be tweaked a bit sometimes to fit one's own classes or topics.

rowenamdialino likes this.
  6. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

...having timed out, :( I'll continue here...

I can't see what more TES can do as regards quality control. Paying someone to read through them all is surely a non-starter, so it's down to users to provide feedback, just like Booking.com and Trip Advisor. I think TES should encourage people to write a short sentence of review, even just a couple of words, as well as just giving a star rating.

If it had fewer than three stars, and any kind of negative review, I probably wouldn't consider a resource further.
    Three star resources can be iffy, but sometimes they are OK in general idea but need a bit more work to make them good.
    I have found that four and five stars, and comments such as " a superb resource, many thanks", can usually be relied upon to indicate a resource worth downloading.

rowenamdialino likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Is this thread some kind of ground work for removing the facility to share free resources here and make sure only paid ones are there?
    Why would you need any sort of quality control on a resource which one is free to take or leave? People who look at the resources are not stupid-if it is no good, it wont be used.
    Apart from that, it is very rare to find a resource which truly is useless. Evidently it was useful at the time to the person who made it. So it may be again one day to somebody who needs just that thing.
    So I do not understand why the TES would seek any sort of "reputation" for it's resources unless it is around stuff which people pay for. The only way you could possibly loose reputation would be if paying people then complained they did not get their money's worth. Nobody is going to bat an eyelid about reputation if something is free and not used, because nobody will be dissatisfied.
    Please do not remove the free resources.
    Perhaps you should introduce a system whereby if something has been there for x amount of time and only used x number of times, it is removed. That in itself is responsible quality control, surely?
    I really do not understand why you would ask us, unless with a view to generate more money.

If you are truly concerned about reputation and quality of content on the site, why are you not also asking us about the quality of the articles you publish? Hmmmm?

8. BristolLanguages

BristolLanguages New commenter

Personally, I would not pay for any of the resources on TES. I did use a lot of the resources when they were all free, because I could use some items. I never used all of the resource, as I found that most of them were "okay" as something your mate lends you, and most of them really looked like (as a friend would put it) the local church newsletter, as in a well-meaning volunteer with very little idea of graphic design or colours/textures/page design, etc had done them.

I found they were okay for ideas, but I would never pay for them, as we live in a world with fantastic textbooks, that have been designed by teams of professionals, proof-read by a different team and then checked before going to print... most of them are available as pdf or downloadable format for modest prices.

Also many of the resources on this website are really worksheets, and there are not really teaching units. Worksheets are really quick and easy to do, and there are tons on the Internet. In my subject which is MFL there are tons of textbooks and exercise books with lots of teaching and information. The same when I have tried to find resources for my primary school kids, there were many worksheets and badly designed power points with squashed images, most of them had probably been illegally used as they would not have asked for copyright.
    I don't think charging 3 pounds or 4 pounds for a "unit pack", is very good value, when I can get a well-designed and research textbook for maybe 10 -15 pounds.

There may be new pay-for-resources available now that are high quality and I am not accessing them, however, view the general quality of what the death-by-power-point generation of teachers have uploaded in the past, I would not risk paying 3.99, I would rather pay that money for a one month subscription of scribd, which allows me to download thousands of high quality copyrighted books.

9. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

Totally agree with this and would help get rid of some of the obsolete resources which would help good quality resources get found.

Jonntyboy likes this.
  10. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

Join the "TES Authors - NES authors advise group" and get help from experienced and sucessful authors.

11. TheNaturalScientist

TheNaturalScientist New commenter

REVIEWS

How about TES develops a more sophisticated peer review system? This is my suggestion: Authors are given the option, for a nominal fee, to elect to have their resources peer reviewed. The nominal fee is necessary to discourage submission of sub-standard resources. Teachers register to serve as peer reviewers in their area of expertise and are sent resources to scrutinize, use and review. Those resources that receive a sufficiently high enough averaged review 'score' are awarded a visible online badge and/or admitted to a 'distinguished' resource collection. The reviewer is rewarded with free resources, many of which (because of the nominal fee) are hopefully of a sufficiently high enough standard to use in his or her future lessons. The author is rewarded with greater exposure for his or her quality resources.