1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quality consultation on Tes resources

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by tesAuthorTeam, Jan 4, 2018.

1. ResourcesandCourses

ResourcesandCourses New commenter

Thanks for sharing.

2. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

If there is any merit in the idea of developing more of a 'developmental community' via dialogue, worthwhile feedback etc. etc. it would be crucial to be able to notify buyers as and when a resource has been updated and improved.

Re. the argument that people couldn't be bothered to indicate whether or not they'd like to keep old resources on sale... to me that's a good thing because what would be left are those resources that people care about.

The other issues could be easily dealt with by ensuring resources that have been purchased recently etc. would not be removed. The process of indicating that an author wishes to keep old resources available could be a simple bulk tick list.

If something isn't done to tidy things up the impression of what's available won't change.

3. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

I really like the idea someone mentioned of the sort of 'trust-pilot' badge for each author based on reviews, sales etc. This would work out very well for free resources too, based on conversions from views (as you can see everything on free stuff, so downloading after you've viewed it in its entirety indicates it is quality - otherwise you wouldn't have bothered).

At the moment people are sticking the Gold author logo all over their resources like it means their quality is high, rather than it meaning they've uploaded a lot of (possibly not good quality) resources.

4. HSX

HSX Occasional commenter

I have seen some comments on other forums about people selling resources that don't belong to them. I don't know what can be done to stop this, but greed is the thing here - a fast buck for no work. My resources here are all ones I've worked hard on and I would hate to think that someone would take my work and pass it off as theirs.

I don't always comment on things I purchase or use - I should as I know what it means to me when that happens. But people are busy. Incentivising that with a credit system (or similar) would be a way to encourage more honest reviews.

I do think a decluttering is needed of the whole system though.

mrajlong and thinky like this.
  5. HSX

HSX Occasional commenter

I have a few reviews like this - yet I can do nothing about them. The TES system sometimes doesn't work and authors get punished for it and, apart from a reply, there's nothing that can be done.

6. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

If they are not a true reflection of the resource OR because of a technical issue, contact Tes and ask it to be removed. I have had to do this on numerous occasions and Tes have removed the review pretty quickly.

Kazg1 likes this.
  7. ResourcesandCourses

I know whew you’re coming from but it makes a massive difference and keeps authors motivated, I know I certainly look forward to them and hope that they contain constructive feedback so that I can make my resources even better quality.

8. ResourcesandCourses

I’m sorry but I don’t agree as many of the comments and suggestions that have been made by these authors are valid and do affect the quality of resources that are produced. It’s just a shame that more authors are not chipping in their ideas to this very important discussion. If we work together we can make the TES environment a better one for all including the teachers that buy our products. I don’t think the issue is just about quality of resources. We have to get other aspects running smoothly and working for authors and our customers! What about the “hidden curriculum” this is rather like that, where good ideas are being discussed, even if not related to the specific points.

kibishipaul likes this.
  9. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

Agree!!

10. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Quite right, I have several resources, which have been downloaded, and never been given any star or feedback what so ever.

One of my most popular, spreadsheets, downloaded over 7000 times, only has half a dozen feedback scores.

CollEd likes this.
  11. EC_Resources

Sorry I wasn't clear at all here - I meant removing the RESOURCES without warning wouldn't be fair, Authors should have a chance to amend / respond.

12. I think it's really productive to focus on quality rather than quantity and I agree, the current structure does favour high-number uploads. Quality resources for me have the following characteristics:
    • They're clear and concise (not loaded with lots of unnecessary descriptions or decorations) - although I suppose that is a more personal view. However, the brain learns better if it's not distracted.
    • They're ready-to-use, even if you have to print, cut-out, glue - they should save the teacher time.
    • They're tagged for their specific purpose and fulfil that aim instead of trying to do too many things at once.
    • They're fairly priced (this would depend on page loading - which should be sensible, not stuffed - number of pages, answer key included if needed, length of use by the buyer - is it a once-off thing or will they use it every month for the next five years - complexity, and availability - if it's something you can't get from anyone else, it's worth more).
    • They're complete, in the sense that the buyer doesn't have to put in extra work to use them.
    A downloadable checklist on quality characteristics might help authors improve their work before they upload. I don't know how viable this idea is, but it might facilitate productive reviews: a follow-up email a week after download asking the buyer to review the product with some guiding questions (Could you use it right away? Would you have paid more, less or the same for this resource? Would you recommend it to colleagues?) to help them leave a helpful review.

Maybe a reward system for authors who engage with their buyers, reply to the reviews or get a certain number of positive reviews on their product may help to increase focus on quality. Also, bad quality products - flagged by buyers and not improved on by the author - should be removed from the site. Possibly suspend the author for a period or decrease their royalties if too many resources had to be removed.

As for the marketplace and community: I think every buyer wants to be able to purchase / download quality materials. Once the sellers realise that bad quality won't be tolerated, the atmosphere will probably change, too. I reckon the tier system would have to change - maybe more profit in return for a paid membership to ensure only serious sellers participate. Or royalties based on the number of resources tagged as "high quality" by buyers.

13. paulbold

paulbold New commenter

Feedback!I am like the pupils- give me feedback and I will happily improve.
    How to get it?
    Ok well we know that most people download resources because they are in a hurry and therefore don't have time for feedback. I think it has to be incentivised with a discount code if summative and formative feedback is given on the resource.

Kazg1 likes this.
  14. paulbold

paulbold New commenter

Now, for what it's worth-
    1) I don't like the way that a resources has to be tied to a single syllabus. Moles is moles whether it be for the IBDP or AQA or EDEXCEL. Please allow multiple entries for better search ability.
    2) too many resources using copywrited material. This is poor form all round. I have downloaded resources that are essentially just an exam paper, scanned. It was subsequently removed but the same author re-uploaded it later with a different file name. This is not cool.
    3) Give us feedback on type of resources that are most popular- e.g. word, powerpoint etc.
    4) Encourage edit ability. After all, we are trying to encourage best practice (which can be summarised as "see it, nick it, adapt it, share it).
    5) "How to" I am a science teacher, and an experienced one at that. My younger colleagues seem to be as bemused by the kit as I am by their ability to "have an app for that". Make a section on "how to" and I'm not talking about the stuff you can find on youtube like how to dissect a preserved rat without thundering (vicks under the nostrils) or connect a CRO to a three lead EKG so you can pretend to read a heartbeat, but stuff that we have learned through years of doing it- like how to do the alkali metals in water in an entertaining but informative way. Or how to teach vector quantities first thing on a Monday to a group of bored hungover teenagers

kibishipaul likes this.
  15. EC_Resources

SHOW THE REVIEW STARS ON BUNDLES IN THE SEARCH RESULTS!

Please :)

16. ResourcesandCourses

I agree, you have some great suggestions here. I'm a little worried about the editing ability as this may condone copying other people's work. I have supplied editable documents myself but it does worry me a little.

17. ResourcesandCourses

Good idea, can we also have a quick way of editing our resources rather than having to scroll through them or using the search facility. There is a section called My Resources, where you can see a list of your recently purchased resources, so why can't we have the same for our uploaded resources, preferably with a sort function so we can sort them into alphabetical order or by price. This would make life a lot easier.

18. ResourcesandCourses

Actually, scrap that remark, it's funny I've never noticed the sort button before, but just found it by accident, TYPICAL!

19. biznetworker

biznetworker New commenter

Some resources just appear to be copied from other sources with no examples or exercises.
    Happy to do:
    Introduction or Teachers Guide
    Theory or Description (depends on the subject matter)
    Examples
    Exercises

20. davlae

davlae New commenter

Personally, I think there is a real lost opportunity in regards to what Tes learns from what people click on. It should learn what each person is interested in and suggest suitable resources based on their purchases and the purchases others. Stop recommending worksheets for KS4 on French verbs when I am an EYFS teacher! If people's response was 'Ooohh - that looks good' more often they are surely more likely to return. I also think that helping buyers find favourite authors would be a good idea.

CurriculumForAutism likes this.