1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quality classrooms resources to aid with writing and reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrcooldude, Jun 11, 2015.

1. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

Like most schools, we're beginning to stock up for the Autumn. Is there anything you'd recommend? Obviously the bog standard stuff is already down on the list (dictionaries, thesauruses etc) but I'm interested in getting hold of anything which really helps with reading, spelling and creative writing. Ideally it needs to be a resource that children can use independently, however any resources that be used in interventions would be useful too (Trugs etc)

Cheers

2. princess77

princess77 New commenter

Reading resources/ideas I found useful:

Class sets of texts suitable for the year group (good for English lessons and story time).

Books with links to the wider curriculum.

I have a class library (a mixture of fiction and non fiction books children can borrow in addition to their banded reading books).

Sign up for a reading challenge or create a class one - My class loved taking part in one in the autumn term.

3. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

Thank you :)

4. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

We also bought a set of Grammar rules books by Collins. There is also a really good book for description 'Descriptosaurus' by Alison Wilcox- brilliant teacher aid.