1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quality Assurance Procedures

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by OptimisticPessimistK, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I was hoping to obtain peoples opinions on quality assurance procedures that are undertaken in your FE college, specifically the impact they have upon your role as a lecturer.
    I'm currently undertaking a PGCE PCET part time and I'm undertaking the research as part of my Widening Professional Practice module.
    I will be researching the specific strategies that my college has put in place, the electronic individual learning plan - which holds information such as Subject Reviews, Initial Assessment and VARK, Attendance Records, SLDD support, Log of tutorial activities and study and basic skills feedback. This eILP is for both student and lecturer to record and follow developments throughout the students time at college. I will also be looking into the effectiveness of tutorials and the impact they have on students and lecturers.By analysing these procedures I'm hoping to see if they make an improvement in attendance and retainment figures and also if they have an impact on whether a student passes a course (particularly, in this instance, AS Media Studies).
    It would be really useful and greatly appreciated if some FE lecturers could share their experiences and opinions on the Quality Assurance procedures that their college implements. Do you use the same strategies? Are they effective? Do they take more time away from the classroom? Increase your workload?

I hope that you can help and I shall look forward to reading your responses.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. <font face="Calibri">Many thanks for your response, it&rsquo;s nice to know I&rsquo;m on the right track; your advice has been really useful. </font><font face="Calibri">I am currently preparing questionnaires for 2 classes of AS Students so about 30 students in total and I will be obtaining their opinions on the eILP and tutorials and including some general questions about other quality assurance procedures. I also have to prepare questionnaires and one to one interviews with the lecturers and the quality assurance manager. I was then hoping to triangulate these with each other and that responses on here would either support opinions or challenge them. </font>Many Thanks.

3. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Interesting topic and I wish you well. You may wish to explore the relationnship between quality assurance (a bit of a dated term in education) and quality improvement. You can after all assure the quality of a bad product if you just keep measuring it. An interesting question to ask of your quality manager is 'can you name some things that have got better as a result of all these processes' Some activities may be audits ie checking that docs have been completed correctly- signed dated etc, but lesson observations, use of the learner voice, should lead to improvements for the learner. Look on the Ofsted website there is a document on the features of successful colleges - name escapes me but I'll upload later
    Cheers