1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quality Assurance for profile scores

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by wackyraces, Jun 19, 2016.

1. wackyraces

wackyraces New commenter

I know a child can not get 'expected' level for 'Understanding' or 'The world' if they are 'emerging' at speaking but how does this work with exceeding levels?
    E.g. can a child levelled as 'expected' level for speaking get exceeding for understanding/the world/people and communities?
    TIA

2. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Yes if you have an EAL child and staff, understanding his/her native language, that can assess him/her

3. wackyraces

wackyraces New commenter

Thank you

4. dbu

dbu New commenter

:eek: I have given children understanding an the world but not speaking!!
    I know they rely on speaking but there isn't any elg's that are predeterminers for others is there?? where does it say this?
    two of mine have poor speech clarity and stutter so do not express themselves effectively and still say 'me goed to' as in the speaking elg. but do answer how and why and can do the talking element of the the wolrd elg.
    have I done this wrong??

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Not necessarily wrong,dbu, but there is a link between speaking and several other ELGs, and this is stated in the EYFSP handbook. I think it's just about going back and checking that you have enough evidence to award UW and yet not enough to award speaking. I would in most cases see a link, but there could be exceptions. From what you have said about the child's speech, I'd probably find it hard to see how they meet UW with clarity and effectiveness.. but you know the child.