1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualities of a History Teacher

Discussion in 'History' started by coblin29, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi
    as part of an interview i have a written test and have to write about the qualities an effectivehistory teacher and while i have own ideas i thought it would be interesting what others thought are good qualities, all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

2. Hi
    as part of an interview i have a written test and have to write about the qualities an effectivehistory teacher and while i have own ideas i thought it would be interesting what others thought are good qualities, all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

3. Hmmm good question...off the top of my head...
    1. Passion - you might spend a lot of time with kids (and other staff!) questioning the usefulness of history so it is really important to be passionate. In my experience kids knowing that you have a 'geeky fascination' with an area of history actually really interests them.
    2. Ability to handle debate - history is a discourse, history lessons are not about the transfer of knowledge and kids love to argue. You have to be confident enough to be disagreed with, questioned and sometimes proved wrong.
    3. Thirst for continuing knowledge - remember there is no test on the NC in a history PGCE (there is in maths) because it is impossible to 'know' everything on there. Good history teachers are used to and relish the idea of teaching new and different courses on subjects they know nothing about. Ours is a constantly moving and developing subject...not suitable for someone who wants an easy life!

That's it for initial thoughts, I'll be interested to see what other people think :)

4. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Spot on, I would also add a flexibility in teaching strategies, as history tends to have so much reading and writing. One of the questions I was asked at interview was "How would you make history more accessible to pupils with weaker literacy skills?" and if I hadn't thought about it in advance I'd have been really stumped! There are some useful strategies for this discussed here: http://www.schoolhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=2992&st=15&p=92033&hl=differentiation&fromsearch=1&#entry92033.

5. An ability to admit you don't know something! Never make it up - it will catch
    up with you eventually! This is a good opportunity to demonstrate to the
    students how to find information about events/ people / places... We have a
    'questions' box in each class, which tend to be well used at times.

Infectious enthusiasm - as the other posters have said.

The ability to raise the dead (!) bringing history alive and making it
    relevant.

6. Thanks for the replies. some great points :)

7. Hey,
    Just read this thread, Cumbria asked for something like this for their interview. Was this where you went for your interview?

8. yea it was. got an offer. so happy