1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Qualifying as an assessor of access arrangements/Dyslexia

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jacklyons, Dec 3, 2018.

  1. jacklyons

    jacklyons New commenter

    Hi all,

    thank you in advance for your advice. I am looking into the different routes towards qualifying as an assessor of access arrangements. I would also, if possible, look to find a route that would allow me assess for Dyslexia and related conditions as well. I have done some googling and looked at a few websites (British Dyslexia Association, Communicated) but am finding it quite confusing. I am currently ALS co-ordinator at a sixth form college (without a teaching qualification).

    Could someone advise as to:
    - different routes to qualification;
    - different levels of qualification;
    - training providers of qualifications (based in the North West preferably);
    - prices of qualifications.


  2. jacklyons

    jacklyons New commenter

    Any ideas? Even a company/website you know of who might be able to advise would be appreciated. Thanks,

  3. Flanks

    Flanks Senior commenter

    For access arrangements, patoss run a level 7 course for assessing for example arrangements.

    Diagnostics for splds is a longer commitment at level 7, most people complete it over two years. Online RealTraining is well regarded. Personally I think it is best taught face to face of you have a university best you which runs the course. You need to check that the course will allow you to apply for an APC via Route 1.
  4. moonpenny

    moonpenny Occasional commenter

    I’m not really familiar with level 7 assessing for access arrangements courses as this requirement is a fairly recent one.

    I did my level 7 qualification in dyslexia over 2 years and did a face to face course which involved going in to the university for one day a week for 2 years. I did find the actual teaching practice which happened on those days very useful, although I used to spend many hours creating resources and preparing for each lesson as we were observed each time. It carried on helping me when I worked in FE as we had been taught how to keep a lesson well paced and multi sensory....and , hopefully, enjoyable.

    I then used the credits to go on to complete a MA is SpLD which involved doing a dissertation which was about 20 to 30 thousand words long.

    I am currently in the 3 rd year of a PhD looking at disability which I get a 14k tax free stipend for and which has been very good.

    Many people I have worked with have done the level 7 dyslexia qualication and a couple stopped at the level 5, ( I used to coordinate a group where we all met up once a term) but there is only really me who has kept up the practising certificate needed for assessing - I have one friend who has a current one but who isn’t assessing regularly. I think this reflects the amount of work it takes to develop expertise and keep this knowledge updated. A requirement of having an assessment practising certificate is current CPD , maintaining professional membership of a professional body such as BDA and submitting a report for scrutiny every 3 years. This takes a lot of hard work and is quite expensive too as are buying up to date testing materials, especially as these are updated every few years - some tests can cost as much as £350 to 400 pounds. Test booklets are also very expensive.

    In my opinion, it’s worth doing the level 7 dyslexia course and as Flanks rightly says try and find somewhere that does face to face tuition, I was actually taught by someone who co editored the Dyslexia Action DILP programme - she was a real old school stickler but I learnt so much from her.
  5. jacklyons

    jacklyons New commenter

    Thanks for your help - Real Training looks ideal as a starting point.
    moonpenny likes this.
  6. Maidenhead

    Maidenhead New commenter

  7. Maidenhead

    Maidenhead New commenter

    I am currently on a PGC Spld Dyslexia through EdgeHill Uni, 18months for AMBDA.
  8. derek.clare

    derek.clare New commenter

    Hi Jack

    I think there's two parts to what you're asking - a) doing EAA assessments, and b) doing diagnostic assessments.

    The full Level 7 course offered by Uni's covers the diagnostic criteria - and so AMBDA - (and usually either because it's specifically taught or by implication, covers to do EAA assessments too). However many of these courses expect that you have QTS/QTLS before you even apply for the course, and so you would need to have a teaching qualification (so please check - a number of university lecturers on the course I did were withdrawn as they had no teaching qual).

    You don't need to have a teaching qualification to do the course on assessments for exam access arrangements. There are on-line courses, such as those offered by Real Training, Communicate-Ed and Patoss, but some universities offer taught courses - Chester University for instance (https://www.chester.ac.uk/node/37674) since you're in the NW. (I'm not on commission - there are likely to be other unis doing similar courses!)

    Good luck!
  9. JennyFen

    JennyFen New commenter

    You can do Level 5 and Level 7 without QTS, but it will most likely restrict your future practice to the private sector

Share This Page