1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualifying as a Learning Support Teacher

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by halfajack, Mar 11, 2018.

1. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Hi all, I wonder if those of you working in learning support, or otherwise in the know, could offer some insight. I know the GTCS offers registration in ASN but is this generally required to get a learning support job or is it something a teacher can work towards whilst in post? The GTCS information states that for this registration, an ASN award of 60 credits at SCQF level 9 are required. Does anyone have any ideas about how this might achieve? All I can find is Masters courses which are much more than the required 60 credits.

2. Gavster77

Gavster77 New commenter

Some LAs now have a policy where they would want an LS applicant to at least have ASN/Learning Support teaching as a GTCS designation.

The school can vouch for you in this case - ie if management acknowledge you have a history of experience in their centre for LS/ASN - and sign you off on GTCS as an ASN teacher.

If not, there are post graduate and masters programs in ASN and LS teaching and they would be advisable too.