1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualified to teach in New Zealand?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mikeeglesfield, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I am new to this forum so any help will be appreciated. I am aware of all the paperwork and necessary documentation involved in registering as a qualified teacher to work in NZ coming from th UK but I am hoping for a definitive answer on whether I will be able to work in the Primary sector. My UK qualifications are for Secondary.
    thanks m

2. I am new to this forum so any help will be appreciated. I am aware of all the paperwork and necessary documentation involved in registering as a qualified teacher to work in NZ coming from th UK but I am hoping for a definitive answer on whether I will be able to work in the Primary sector. My UK qualifications are for Secondary.
    thanks m

3. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

4. Gut instinct is no. NZ-qualified secondary teachers cannot teach primary, so I really doubt that UK-qualified ones would.
    Having said that, in NZ, primary includes years 7 & 8. So there may be some leeway to teach those years, depending on your subject and whether you applied to full primaries or intermediates. In fact, I have a vague recollection of someone who posted on here who did manage to get a job in an intermediate.

5. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

I know of someone who came across to NZ as a secondary Geography teacher and after doing some relief work got a position as in a school teaching Yr7/8 as a homeroom teacher, and in an area school you may get experience teaching the younger age groups... I would contact the NZTC and ask them, or look at doing a conversion course.
    (Anecdotal evidence in the staffroom suggests that primary to secondary is more common, and that secondary to primary is possible but 'why would you?')

6. I think it depends whereabouts you are. In central Auckland it seems to be the case that you wouldn't be able to, but I have a friend in Rotorua who is primary trained and teaching in secondary - so there may be some scope to change. If it was an area with a shortage of teachers then I think you would stand a pretty good chance.

7. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

Actually met someone the other day who is trained secondary teacher, butnow works in primary. So, it can be done. Mind, he was NZ trained and works in a rural area.

8. Sorry but this doesn't apply to the OP. It isn't uncommon for primary-trained teachers to move into secondary (under certain circumstances) but not vice versa. NZ secondary teachers cannot teach primary without retraining.
    The only reason that I said the OP might be able to make it work is because of the overlapping age anges between the English/NZ systems.