1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS)

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by mortymoo, Jun 10, 2007.

1. "Those entering the sector after 1 September 2007 will be required to gain QTLS or ATLS within two years, except where teaching solely in a Sixth Form College where QTS is deemed appropriate professional status"

Taken directly from the documantation that introduces QTLS and teacher registration in the PC sector. Thats where my information is coming from. Directly from the government office concerned.

You appear to have a knack for picking up the wrong parts of the legislation . I am wondering if this is simply because you fail to graps the issue under discussion or if you are simply do not understand the legislation at all, or heaven forbid you are being deliberately misleading.

I only know of one other person on this forum who would hold your views and argue in the same vein. I am wondering if you are one and the same person.

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

We need to stop all this stupidity now.

Education in this country is bonkers and so class-laden it has lost its way.

No more acronyms in education. No more meaningless QTS, QTLS, Licence, Member, Associate, SENCO, FENTO,IfL, SVUK, LLUK,QIA, Skills For Life (What else are skills for),lsc, Basic skills Agency, ufi (what is the ufi?),NRDC or move-on.

Too many ministers and fat-cat educationalists are making money out of all this twaddle in order to buy second houses in France -money that should be being spent on everyone accessing information via education.

These fat-cats have no real interest in people accessing education. They are the insip middle-classes who have no idea of the poverty they cause with their education money funded disasters.

All out. A four week strike by teachers across the country. And a return in the fifth week to a sane education system.

I propose:

1:Everyone who teaches should have QTS now, irrespective of the age group they teach.

Then it should be thrown away as the stupid ignorant meaningless acronym it is.

2:QTS is only like QPS (Qualified Plumber Status)or QBDS (Qualified Bus Driver Status)or QDS (Qualified Dentist Status).

3:As of 1st September 2010 everyone who teaches must have a degree level qualification in what they teach and a teaching certificate in order to teach it.

3:Cradle to Grave education must be free for everyone to gain each stage of their qualifications, GCSE, A Level and Degree. Post-graduate study must be paid for.

4:If you miss a stage and/or don't pass through it, you get one second free go up to and including A Level.

5:All educational establishments (pre-school to university) should have one headteacher called 'The Principal'.

6:All education will be inclusive i.e. there will be no such stupidity as 'special education'. All education is special and every student is special and they all have diverse physical and psychological needs.

7:Inclusive Education will be called 'Education'.

8:All students of the same age group will work together in small groups of up to ten students. This irrespective of their perceived 'ability' or 'needs'.

9:And we start building the walls round the utopia at 10 a.m.

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Oh yes, I forgot.

Do we really need Sixth Form Colleges?

Why don't we just have the one big place where we all study.

Think of the savings on greenhouse gases re cars and public transport.

Children, young people, adults, parents and grandparents and great-grand parents could all study at the same big building -split up into zones of course.

Everyone could have a big music-led assembly on Friday afternoons.

It's got to be better than the misery we endure at present.

Most people on this forum don't seem to like going to school anyway.

4. excuse me for sounding dumb, but thought I had got my head around it all but now all confused again.

I did my pgce FE part time at an FE college in Wales and did full time teaching for the two years I studied. as well as hours required for PGCE. I then did 1 extra year full time teaching = 3 yrs total

i have since moved to england am about to start teaching in an FE college there.

So do I just send of my certificates and automatically get it???

cheers x

5. *********** why are you being so horrible to me, just because i don't agree with your interpretation of things you seem to think it is ok to bully me by accusing me of all sorts of things. i simply asked you where you were getting your information from, which document, because i would like to read the context of the paragraph you keep citing myself. so i'll ask you again, can you please, without insulting or bullying me, tell me where you are getting your information from - as in name the document and where i can find it, thanks

ps
    sorry for assuming you were male

6. i know what will happen. I will work my socks off getting QTS only for the gov to standardise all teaching quals and make me eligible for QTS without doing the GTP. I know they will. It's the way my luck works.

*morty sulks off to fill in yet another WD4*

7. I dont think there is much danger of that morty. Not unless teachers wise up and take a stand ( and they wont because you can see the divisions even here now).

Some swallow the line and others know but cant get their voices heard over the bang bang of irrelevances!

WHEN AND IF the FE sector of teaxchers wises up and shouts and screams and gets its union into gear there could be a straight QTS/QTLS swap but I wont hold my breath. They did make some limited changes when old FEc teachers kicked back in 2000 ( the old statutory instrument that gave FE teachers working before 1989 QTS)

This is another one ( like the exam board issue now being raised ) which I have been shouting about and banging my head against a brick wall about since the early 1990's.

8. the name and location of the document please ***********, oh and also the name and location of the document giving pre1989 fe teachers qts, as i am one and i do not have it, if you don't start giving evidence soon i'll assume you are making it all up

9. I think I know who you are. You can change your name but you dont change your apporach.

I have a cold right now and am pretty rough. I did access the DfES site this weekend but it was down and I couldnt retrieve the documents.

When I can I will post.

Of course then, true to your usual form you will try and dismiss them The problem is its there in balck and whilteand the irony is that if you were actually quoting from the original papers rather than some precis form you would know that.

10. If you did not get OTS under the old statutpry instrument 1029 of 2001 its too late now! They closed it last year. However, I doubt you would have qualified. You needed an appropriate degree and to have been teaching before 1989.

For someone who is shouting their mouth off so much here and demanding so much as if we are all lying you know so very little.

It was plastered across the boards for three years to make sure those FE teachers who could got their QTS.

It is still possible a few didnt do it but unless you are over a certain age me fear you aint gonna get QTS now unless you pull your finger out of the pie and fight for it from QTLS.

Is your request for information a tacit recognition that QTLS is a load of inferior balls? I think so.

11. you know who i am? who am i then? go on, stop bullying and back your threats up, bully. are you saying you can trace me through the internet, what kind of a bullying threat is that? i'm sure it must be against the terms and conditions of this site, you really are the very worst kind of bully aren't you. please provide links to the documents you keep citing or i and others will quite naturally conclude that you are not being truthful, i've just checked the dius site and it seems to be working fine.

first you say all fe teachers up until recently could get qts, then you say only those who have a appropriate degree, what is a appropriate degree then? do you actually know anything about fe?

how can i be the one quoting from precis documents, the only quote i have used come from the new regulations as held on the ifls web-site, i'm not the one saying the dog ate my homework, am i?

12. I am not going to get into this.
    I am sure like myself several people will reconise the posting style and you comments.

Suffice to say
    a) I have not claimed I am going to get your details from the internet and post them here. I would not. I am not that kind of person, unlike the poster who did precisely that to me a few years back over exactly this same issue.

b) I am not bullying you. I am stating facts. Crying wolf is not going to get you anywhere. I am saying I recognise you and your posting style and thus am aware of the miode of operation you employ in your discussions or arguments ( if they can be called that). I am saying that my previous experience of you leads me a particular line of action - I wont be responding to your future posts.

c) I have never said anywhere that all FE teachers could get QTS if they were teaching before 1989. I said there were some limited changes which allowed some FE teachers to get QTS back in 2001 following a considerable argument about their being left out of the original 1989 documentation. The variation allowed for FE cteachers who were teaching ( whether or not at the time qualified) before 1989 and who had a degree awarded either before certain dates or in certain subjects ( mostly science subjects) and who were later holders of a teaching certificate which did not carry QTS, were able to get QTS

Some FE teachers could and probably still can obtain QTS if they meet the original criteria,whether or not they have a teaching qualification at all.

All that has been explained many times here

Those teachers here who do not have QTS , such as yourself , did not meet the criteria, its that simple.

13. you are obviously quite barmy

14. I think that phrase barmy has been used about you by quite a few other posters on this fora.

15. This really is the strangest set of posts. It is so interesting that this person cries bully everytime someone questions 'her' or disagrees with 'her'. It's happened on other threads too. No doubt I will be called on to back this up and give evidence and support my oh so wicked claims.

I'm not going to. I can't be bothered I have better things to do. I will not respond to anything you say on this matter as it is my feeling you just want an argument and you don't really care what about.

16. i don't want any argument, i just want *********** to substantiate things s/he says, its just not good enough to offer advice to others based on inaccurate information, if you care to read through this thread you will see that *********** has accused me of all sorts of things and apparently knows who i am (like she really does, oh yeah), when all i have done is to ask her where the quotes she keeps using are taken from, i just don't think it is terribly fair to knowingly misrepresent information, thats all

17. Like two bald men fighting over a comb!

18. /On the grapevine I heard that the Quality Improvement Agency (QIA) and The Centre for Excellence in Leadership (CEL) may be reformed into a single unit ? let us hope that this will lead to an improved vision of an integrated learning culture for colleges and staff at all levels ? lecturers, managers and support staff.

Whole college view and performance requires interdepartmental cooperation and integrated management with performance indicators based on students learning, student support in the classroom, in the library, in the lab, student enrolment and career planning etc ? all the supporting roles all pointing in the same direction.

It woOn the grapevine I heard that the Quality Improvement Agency (QIA) and The Centre for Excellence in Leadership (CEL) may be reformed into a single unit ? let us hope that this will lead to an improved vision of an integrated learning culture for colleges and staff at all levels ? lecturers, managers and support staff.

Whole college view and performance requires interdepartmental cooperation and integrated management with performance indicators based on students learning, student support in the classroom, in the library, in the lab, student enrolment and career planning etc ? all the supporting roles all pointing in the same direction.

It would make life much more enjoyable for everyone concerned to know that they are contributing to the college vision, that whatever and whoever they are in the college that their individual contribution helps improving the student learning environment. You never know but it may even lead to staff development that is directly relevant to students and all staff needs.

There now exists a QTLS via the IfL. What would help QTLS would be if QTLS reported to QMTLS for their day to day tasks, annual assessements etc without asny specific management training much of the eforts of any Staff Development, SLC, mentoring etc can be wasted and not recognised or understood. Time for a new mandatory qualification for managers (section heads, curriculum managers etc) - Qualified Manager of Teaching, Learning and Skills (QMTLS).

What would you see as a necessecity for any syllabus for such a qualification ?

uld make life much more enjoyable for everyone concerned to know that they are contributing to the college vision, that whatever and whoever they are in the college that their individual contribution helps improving the student learning environment. You never know but it may even lead to staff development that is directly relevant to students and all staff needs.

There now exists a QTLS via the IfL. What would help QTLS would be if QTLS reported to QMTLS for their day to day tasks, annual assessements etc without asny specific management training much of the eforts of any Staff Development, SLC, mentoring etc can be wasted and not recognised or understood. Time for a new mandatory qualification for managers (section heads, curriculum managers etc) - Qualified Manager of Teaching, Learning and Skills (QMTLS).

What would you see as a necessecity for any syllabus for such a qualification ?

p>

19. Welcome to the great new qualification designed to make all teachers equal! If you get QTLS you can teach in any shcool anywhere in the Uk at the same rate.

It is a brand new 2 year HE degree that requires little outside work, but is terribly interesting and will enhance your teaching greatly. The new FE institution watchdog, the IFL, is the one granting this teaching licence. Best of luch!

20. After 5 years you resurrect this to say that??