1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualified in secondary but worked mostly in early years

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by musiccrescendo, Dec 14, 2015.

1. musiccrescendo

musiccrescendo New commenter

Hi,

I have been teaching 5 years now, after qualifiying i taught a year at secondary level in my subject and then was made redunant, I went into supply teaching then gained emloyement internationally but working with early years age, for around 3 years. Came back to the UK and took up a long term supply job (4 months) in my subject teaching mainly secondary with some year 6 teaching also. The problem now is that when I am applying for positions in the UK, because I have mainly taught early years during my teaching career they imply i am not qualified enough or comitted to my subject enough for the position and if i apply for early years positions they say I am not qualified. Where do i go from here?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The positive thing is that you came back from abroad, which can be tricky sometimes. So well done for that!

As for your dilemma, it's up to you to show in your letter of application or supporting statement that you are sufficiently experienced to carry out the job to the high standard that they expect. Quote examples of what you do/have done. Give clear results and successes. Don't let them guess it, show them, spell it out.

And have you read all the applications advice in the Professional Advice Hub? Tag me thus @TheoGriff if not, and I'll give you the links.

Best wishes

3. musiccrescendo

musiccrescendo New commenter

Thanks @TheoGriff for your advice. Should I apply for early years jobs in the UK as at the moment I have been focusing on music positions. Or should I think about going back to school to get qualified in early years? I do love teaching in general of course I love my subject but I can use my subject knowledge in early years as well. I don't know I am confused I must say.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Whichever you feel more comfortable with, and can make a better case for.

By school you mean University? Well, if you have QTS already you cannot do another PGCE, I'm afraid.

I cannot make the decision for you as to which you would prefer to teach. They are poles apart, of course . . . You need to think which you would be better at, and then how to sell yourself in your application.

And have you read all the applications advice in the Professional Advice Hub?

Best wishes

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

There are some (and an increasing number of) all-through academies, for children aged 3 - 18. In some, cross-phase teaching is possible. For example, in one all-through academy I know of, a teacher had a Y2 class and taught an A level subject during the same year. It didn't work out, but that wasn't the fault of the teacher but of the poor organisation within the academy.