1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualified in History and Spanish but with knowledge of French - where do I stand?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by custardcream2011, Nov 28, 2011.

1. custardcream2011

custardcream2011 New commenter

I'm thinking of applying for an MFL PGCE in the coming year, but I don't really know where I stand or what my chances are!
    I have a degree in History and Spanish (joint honours) and am currently living in France where I am in the process of learning French. Ideally I would like my French to be really good by the end of the year.
    I'm worried about job prospects in the future, in that I'll be up against a LOT of competition, i.e. people who have got joint honours language degrees (French and German, French and Spanish, Spanish and German etc). I am only qualified in one language, even if I were to reach proficiency in another. Plus, is French and Spanish a good combination? Or is French and German more favourable? I'm worried I'll lose out to other graduates. I do have the qualification in history and an A-Level in English Lit too but I guess these will be made redundant.
    Will I even be able to do a PGCE with a joint honours degree such as mine?
    Any advice much appreciated :)

2. Yes you will be able to do a PGCE. There are many people who train with just one language, although two is more desirable and most providers will require you to teach one to at least Key Stage 3. If you're living in France and taking lessons I don't see why this should be a problem for you.

In terms of employability, I shouldn't think you'd have any more of a problem than most other language teachers. Although French is generally the most taught language, there is an increasing number of jobs teaching Spanish. Plus you have the ability to teach history too, which may well work in your favour.

I say you should apply, and maybe think about at least getting your A Level French done.

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I did my degree in Switzerland and it was in English Language and Literature, with minors in History and French Literature. My only language is French (though it's native speaker so it helps), but I have taught German and Italian as I have A-Levels in both these. On my PGCE course there was a French girl who's done a Biology degree (she is now head of an MFL department). My point is that schools don't really care if your degree is in your language or not, if you have the ability. If you have lived in France, you should in theory be fluent, so you won't have a problem in teaching it.