1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Qualified in 2012. Still ok to teach?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by mrtowers, Jan 8, 2017.

  1. mrtowers

    mrtowers New commenter

    Apologies for a question I am sure is asked often, but after reading various things on the the internet and this forum I am still none the wiser. I thought it's best to just ask the question and hope there is a kind and more knowledgeable person here that could put me straight. In 2012 I qualified in Wales as a secondary science teacher with flying colours, however a terrible experience with a terrible school tutor left my self belief on the floor. After qualifying I took what i thought would be a short term job with an environmental organisation, developing and managing their education and training activities across North Wales. I worked with schools, and in schools, PRUs, collages, and so on. I am now in a position where I would like to get back into mainstream teaching and think i have a lot to offer as an NQT. I am reading conflicting things about time restraints on this. Am I still able to apply for jobs as an NQT? do i have to apply for an extension? And where do i stand with cover teaching? Any advice would be greatly appreciated in advance.
  2. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    You can apply for an NQT position.

    The rule, if it is in fact still in place, states that you cannot do day to day supply after the 5 year period after completing the PGCE. However, you can still start the NQT induction if you are employed for at least 1 term through an agency, or in a permanent role.

    FYI the curriculum has changed since you trained.
  3. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    You need to check the statutory guidance for Wales the advice about supply work is based on the English guidance which does not apply. There are some key differences between the 2 schemes and short term supply counts towards induction in Wales- there was a major review of induction in Wales in 2012 with a regional assessment structure as below..
    Since September 2012 changes to the Induction Regulations have been made to ensure a more robust approach to induction for NQTs. The changes will apply to all NQTs undergoing induction irrespective of when they commenced their induction period.

    The main changes include:

    NQTs will be required to complete an induction period of three school terms or the equivalent period of time as 380 school sessions (one session is equivalent to a morning or afternoon of teaching)
    NQTs without regular employment can accrue school sessions until 380 sessions have been completed
    NQTs will be assessed against the Practising Teacher Standards (PTS) at the end of the induction period and will be required to gather evidence of how their practice meets the PTS the support and supervision of the NQT will be carried out through a partnership between the school(s) where the NQT works and an external mentor working on behalf of the appropriate body.
    Full details on the website
    mrtowers likes this.
  4. jago123

    jago123 Established commenter

    2012 was only 5 years ago so you can apply for an NQT role if you haven't done this already.
    There has been some change in the last 5 years so it would be worth getting to grips with the changes.
    mrtowers likes this.
  5. mrtowers

    mrtowers New commenter

    Thanks for the advice. I have been doing a lot of considering and investigating since this original post. The general consensus from any teacher i seem to talk to is that it is a terrible profession to get into at the moment, however i am very passionate about making a difference. What are the rules regarding NQT's in PRU's?
  6. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Please be aware this thread refers to induction in Wales
    In England PRUs cannot offer induction

Share This Page