1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualified geography teacher wising to train to teach Business Studies

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by CarolSh, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I used to be a geography teacher but gave that up to raise a family (now aged 2, 4 and 6 years old). I'm interested in gaining qualifications that would make me able to teach business studies and economics (as well as geography). I know that, in theory, with QTS I can teach anything but would like to gain qualifications to help me do this. I have economics A-level and have taught a little economics A-Level (mainly to do with international development). I don't have any qualifications in business studies. I loved economics when i was at school. There are so many home study courses out there I don't know where to start. What qualifications should I study for? Should I go for GCSE and A-Level Business Studies? Should I do a diploma? I would need something I can study from home. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear from you. I've also asked for some advice off the careers forum. Many thanks.

2. Hi
    Given the ebac you may well find yourself in demand as a geography teacher but if you are serious about wanting to study more with a view to teaching business I would do an A level in Business Studies.

Good luck

3. Hi,
    I think the best thing to do is to get back into school as a geography teacher and then once you are settled make it known you would like to teach some business studies if the opportunity arises. You have A level Economics and experience teaching Economics which is good.
    It wouldn't make a difference if you had A level Business in my opinion. Plus, Business Studies posts in certain regions (I am in East Mids) are really hard to come by and you'd be up against teachers with business degree and PGCE Business Education and maybe years in teaching or working in industry. I hope that has helped and not put you off. Like the other posts said geography is going to be more sought after!