1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualified and no job!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by singinintherain, Jul 18, 2011.

1. singinintherain

singinintherain New commenter

I've recently qualified as a GTP and can't find a job. The market has been awful! Any body else in this position?

2. singinintherain

singinintherain New commenter

I've recently qualified as a GTP and can't find a job. The market has been awful! Any body else in this position?

3. I'm in exactly the same boat, GTP and then no job. Pretty stressful

4. Not GTP, but PGCE. No jobs in my subject in the locations which are feasible for me to teach in. I have a feeling there's quite a few people in the same position.

5. Welcome to the world of education. Many teachers out of work at the moment. Sorry for the bad news. Look in the unemployed forum for more people in the position.

6. barneystinson

barneystinson New commenter

What subject are you trained in?

7. OP, I assume you qualified this year? Please try not to worry (I know this is easier said than done). Of a cohort of 150, over half of my year (2010 qualifiers) left without a job to go to, but in the past term and a half people have been picking up jobs at great speed. Just as I was thinking I would have to leave the profession as I was coming to the end of my allotted supply terms, I was offered a job for my first teaching post (about an hour ago!). If I can manage it, I am sure you can! Keep at it, and don't give up yet!

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Well done SWD! [​IMG]
    Also in the same boat as the OP... [​IMG] x

9. Think of it this way guys - have a back up plan in mind for the *just in case* situation, but when you do finally get yourself a post, the success will taste so, so sweet!

If you end up doing supply whilst you're still looking, go in with a positive mind set because every NQT who I know did supply has said it made them a better teacher, and it will also give you something to talk about in interviews as well.
    Obviously a main part of being a new teacher is the need for professional developmen, so look for as wide a range of opportunities as you can!

10. No job for me either :(

11. I am in the same boat. Even with my seven years of expereince working in school before training to be a teacher. I just feel so down at the moment, can't see any lighth through the tunnel yet.

12. Other people just don't realise how grim it feels do they?!

13. The myth that there are loads of teaching jobs out there persists in many areas, it seems! I've had people not involved in the profession refuse to believe that this is the case because they see lots of advertised vacancies, and adverts such as the TDA ad for becoming a teacher, and think that it must be really easy to get work. This is despite telling them that I've applied for hardly any jobs where there have been fewer than 120 applicants and over half of my 150-strong cohort (on the PGCE alone, and I graduated from a uni that offered 3 and 4 year B.Ed. courses as well) left without finding work.

Throw in that certain parts of the country have MANY universities offering ITT courses and it really is the pits!