1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualified 2 years ago and still not managed to obtain a teaching position!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TeacherIT, Mar 4, 2011.

1. I have been out of university since July 2008, and have yet still not had the opportunity to complete my NQT year. I have had to seek non-education employment in order to survive financially. I just don't know what to do and it makes me feel down, especially as I have had (without being egocentric) really good references from university placements and supply work. I would have loved to continue with working on supply but it's not a stable income and since then the closest job I could achieve (in the sense of responsibilities for others, and a rewarding career) is a care assistant job at a nursing home.
    Although I'm still applying for teaching vacancies, I have no idea on what to do next! I have been keeping myself up-to-date with educational policies the best I can plus I'm volunteering within a craft based company; Avago Crafts; that requires me to teach and support children, both within schools and within the crafting centre, art and design based activities. I'm just running out of ideas, does anyone have any useful advice? I would really appreciate any input! [​IMG]

2. I have been out of university since July 2008, and have yet still not had the opportunity to complete my NQT year. I have had to seek non-education employment in order to survive financially. I just don't know what to do and it makes me feel down, especially as I have had (without being egocentric) really good references from university placements and supply work. I would have loved to continue with working on supply but it's not a stable income and since then the closest job I could achieve (in the sense of responsibilities for others, and a rewarding career) is a care assistant job at a nursing home.
    Although I'm still applying for teaching vacancies, I have no idea on what to do next! I have been keeping myself up-to-date with educational policies the best I can plus I'm volunteering within a craft based company; Avago Crafts; that requires me to teach and support children, both within schools and within the crafting centre, art and design based activities. I'm just running out of ideas, does anyone have any useful advice? I would really appreciate any input! [​IMG]

3. A student, who had her final TP in my class last term, popped in to visit us today. She's applying for every job going down in our neck of the woods (alongside 2 cohorts from the local Uni and Teacher Training college.).
    Although she is, potentially, a brilliant teacher, my advice to her was to abandon any hope of getting her first job in her chosen locality (South West) and to contact anywhere which operated an NQT 'pool', If you are single, without any commitments, you are in a position to cast your net further and gain experience in areas which might not necessarily have been your 'dream location'. You can always return at a later date.
    When I qualified, I was a mother of 3 and simply couldn't look further afield than my home town. I had to wait a whole year before I secured my first permanent job (and this was after being awarded a First and coming top of my entire cohort!). Much as I loved my kids - my ex-husband was another matter:) - I would have given anything to have applied all over the country as soon as I qualified. If you are in a position to do so, then bite the bullet...

4. impis

impis New commenter

It took me 22 years to secure my first permenant post.
    Never give up! [​IMG]

5. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Which area are you in? We are desperate for an IT teacher!