1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by preston720, Nov 8, 2019.

  1. preston720

    preston720 New commenter

    Hello all, I am looking into becoming a teaching assistant but am not sure what qualifications I need before applying. I have GCSE Maths and English. There seem to be lots of courses for teaching not sure which ones to look at or if I can study while working?
  2. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Star commenter

    Hi preston720, welcome to TES. I think it's very difficult to get a TA job today without a recognised qualification - but your GCSE Maths and English are a good start. You need to look for a CACHE accredited qualification course - probably the Level 2 or 3 Award in Childcare and Education. These courses can be studied as distance learning, but it's far better if you can go to college. Have a look at your local FE college website; I'm sure they will have a course - then make an appointment to visit them. Most schools will require at least a Level 2 before considering someone for a job.

    The other 'study while working' option is a TA apprenticeship. We have those in our area (we have our fourth apprentice at school now) but I'm not sure if the scheme is nationwide. It would definitely be worth giving your local council careers department a call to find out. Apprentices are placed in a school for four days a week, then attend college for one day. They have a tutor at college and a mentor at school and have regular observations and progress meetings. At the end of their apprenticeship (usually just over a year), they are awarded a Level 2 qualification (assuming they're successful). They then have the opportunity to move on to a further apprenticeship to work towards a level 3 qualification. It takes slightly longer than the college route, but you're being paid as you learn - and all of our apprentices have found the school experience invaluable.
    Best of luck, whichever way you choose!
    preston720 likes this.
  3. preston720

    preston720 New commenter

    Thank you
    You have given me lots of useful information
    sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. eromdap

    eromdap New commenter

    I believe that if you are serious about getting a TA job then you will need some sort of experience with working with children. You will be up against other experienced TAs when applying for jobs. Experience could be volunteering in a school, helping out with Brownies/Cubs or any other child aged clubs.

    As for the qualification, you should be looking at Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools. The level 2 or 3 award is only a theory based qualification, the certificate or diploma give you more of an opportunity to demonstrate that you are able to work within a TA role. Also, it doesn’t have to be a CACHE qualification, there are many other awarding organisations that provide the qualification, eg City and Guilds. Check out https://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Sear...ing and learning&status=Available to learners for government regulated courses.

Share This Page