1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by A_xel, Sep 16, 2015.

  1. A_xel

    A_xel New commenter

    Hi Everyone,

    I have recently joined this group because I would like to teach abroad. Originally, my teaching qualification, for secondary education, is from Spain and I was thinking about validating it with the Teaching Council for England. However, I was wondering how that would look like on my CV and whether it is worth just obtaining a relevant teaching qualification in the UK or Republic of Ireland, e.g. a PGDE.

    I am currently living in the Republic of Ireland and I was thinking in taking up a PGDE in the Republic as it looks much more similar to the one in the UK than the Spanish qualification I have.

    My aim is to get a teaching qualification that is internationally recognised or that it is useful in order to work in as many as possible international schools.

    I feel this is way too many things to answer but I would be interested in reading your opinions/experience on it and what type of qualifications teachers that work abroad usually have.
  2. Kartoshka

    Kartoshka Established commenter

    Do you have QTS? This is the main thing my school is interested in. How you got it (PGCE, Schools Direct training, etc) is less important.
  3. rachel_g41

    rachel_g41 Established commenter

    Hi Axel

    There are schools in many parts of the world who would offer you work on the basis of your spanish qualification, who are only interested in whether or not you are a qualified teacher. However there are also schools, perhaps many schools, who look specifically for a UK qualification, so having that rather than simply convalidating your spanish one would probably open more doors for you.

    I'm not sure how the Irish one is viewed but I would imagine there are Irish trained teachers here who can tell you of their experiences.

    Personally I'd say it's worth taking a year to do the PGCE, I have loved my international teaching to date and love having so many options open to me.

    Good luck

    Edited to add: you could also consider convalidating and then getting a year or so teaching experience in the UK system but I suspect that's something most here would advise against given the sorry state of education in the UK at the moment.
  4. sabrinakat

    sabrinakat Star commenter

    FYI - the Irish equivalent has just changed to a 2 year one and can cost about 20k over the two years (obviously some are cheaper but only looked at Hibernate College).

    Best wishes
  5. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Hibernate College? No sleeping on the job then.
  6. sabrinakat

    sabrinakat Star commenter

    Hibernia College! Predictive text is so annoying!
  7. A_xel

    A_xel New commenter

    Ok, It's good to hear different opinions about it.

    I had a look at Hibernia College, they offer a Professional Diploma in Education. A Diploma is two years, but I have also had a look at the Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). I am wondering now if this latter option, which seems to be only one year, is sufficient to register with the councils? As far as I have read it should be.
  8. TonyGT

    TonyGT Established commenter

    Just a comment, but I would avoid having your own picture as your avatar on here.
  9. MisterMaker

    MisterMaker Occasional commenter

    Too late. His image is now logged into the secretive School Owners Dark-net International Teacher Database.
  10. MisterMaker

    MisterMaker Occasional commenter

    as a new contributor, has my naughty slate been cleaned?
  11. mikemcdonald25

    mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

    Welcome to the new contributor. Everyone deserves a second chance MM even you! Maybe this is your chance to show your auto da fe
  12. A_xel

    A_xel New commenter

    Thanks for the replies and advice. I did my profile ages ago and I totally forgot to change my image... I've already changed my image but it still appears here. I supose it will eventually dissapear.
  13. sabrinakat

    sabrinakat Star commenter

    um...I just checked the Hibernia site and there isn't a one-year PGCE anymore (if you go into the section, you will see that it ended last year). This seems to be countrywide with the Irish Department of Education changing its postgraduate teaining from one year to two. In order to be certified to teach in Ireland, the Teaching Council ultimately decides whether or not to accept your credentials - they seem to have issues with anyone educated or qualified outside Ireland. In my case, when I inquired about whether they would accept my Classics degree from Oxford, they said I should do a masters to make it easier to tick the boxes.

    ps. I had a PhD at the time and have easily found work in the independenr sector in the UK
  14. A_xel

    A_xel New commenter

    Thanks Sabrinakat. I did check the Hibernia webpage, that qualification is considered part-time though. There is one from Trinity College that lasts for one year (full-time). Would you say the English Teaching Council has less issues accepting non-english credentials than the Irish? From what I've got from my on-line searches the English Teaching Council seems to be used to deal with non-english applicants, but I don't know the Irish.
  15. A_xel

    A_xel New commenter

    Sorry, The one from Trinity College is also two years, even though it's full-time. The one from Hibernia College is a sort of distant learning combining periods of full-time experience.

Share This Page