1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualifications to win over schools... any ideas?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by roolane, Jul 6, 2011.

1. I passed my PGCE in December and am supplying while looking for a job. By a complicated but lucky series of events I have a fund of £1300 from a previous employer to put towards qualifications for a new role. Does anyone have ideas of what I should do that might appeal to schools?
    Some one suggested Team Teach but I contacted them and they told me the courses can only be booked by organisations as groups so that's no good for me!#

Any other ideas?

2. Not sure if you are primary or secondary?
    I would say something that makes you more marketable in an overcrowded market. So if you're secondary then you might want to enhance your subject knowledge in an area that is in demand like maths, physics or chemistry. You might also want to look into something extra curricular that schools like, in secondary this can be things that support activities like DofE eg, walking qualifications, assessors awards or in primary things like music are useful.
    Other than that I'm not sure what would be useful as a new teacher.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

First Aid certification?

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Would it make any difference to the shortlisting Middlemarch? x

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I gained my first teaching post on the back of a rugby coaching qualification so it depends upon your skills and interests and what contribution can be made to the wider school life.
    Otherwise you could consider courses to enhance your subject knowledge or open up other sectors for teaching , such as EFL?

6. Middlemarch

Ah, now that rather depends on the school. Possession of such a qualification does give you an edge, in my opinion, where there are many applicants all with similar-sounding qualifications, etc.

7. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Hi.
    Can anyone give me some indication if a Basic First Aid Certificate would be OK?
    I know that there's a specific School First Aid Certificate but it costs £100 and the next course in my area (run by St John's Ambulance) is in March next year. As a NQT on supply that's quite a price to pay.

8. Middlemarch

I've never heard of a specific school first aid cert and can't imagine how it might be different.
    I did the four day St John's one (it was the early 90s, but I've felt as if I was a doctor ever since!) as a deputy head and found it the best CPD I ever experienced. As a head, I've always looked with interest at non-teaching qualifications that candidates hold which could conceivably be of use in school and First Aid is the top one for me.

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

The school one is far cheaper at a £100 rather than the Red Cross 'First Aid at Work' (£253). Definately something to consider. Thanks everyone x

10. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Thanks Middlemarch.

11. brunetta

brunetta New commenter

Thanks Middlemarch.