1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualifications needed to teach nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by barnaclebrain, Nov 29, 2011.

1. barnaclebrain

barnaclebrain New commenter

Hello,
    I was just wondering, with my PGCE Primary (ages 5-11), is it possible for me to teach in a private nursery? Also, I have no experience of teaching at nursery.Some advice would be helpful. Thanks

2. barnaclebrain

barnaclebrain New commenter

Hello,
    I was just wondering, with my PGCE Primary (ages 5-11), is it possible for me to teach in a private nursery? Also, I have no experience of teaching at nursery.Some advice would be helpful. Thanks

3. Once you have your qts you are technically qualified to teach any age group.
    I did a primary pgce also and got my first teaching job in a nursery. It was a bit of a baptism of fire as there was so much to learn very quickly but I loved it. Nursery wouldn't have been my first choice, but like you i found it hard to get a job and decided it was better than staying on supply.
    I now teach reception as i enjoyed working in early years so much.

(However, my degree in is early childhood studies so had a background in early years which really helped)

4. Mine is primary pgce and specifically states 5-11 (had placements in ks2 and ks1)

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Unless it is a private nursery in a private school, you wont beable to complete your NQT year in a private nursery, also you are unlikely to be paid as a teacher in other a pvi settings., barely above min wage is common.

6. Took this from the CWDC qualifications list:
    Certificate of Education and Bachelor of Education, PGCE and QTS The teaching
    qualifications listed above are appropriate to be counted in the qualified staff
    ratio at level 6 if gained in the Foundation Stage or Key Stage One
    Hope it helps x