1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualifications needed to become Primary School teacher In England.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sevensilvermoonbeams, Sep 25, 2019.

1. sevensilvermoonbeams

sevensilvermoonbeams New commenter

I have just completed a BA in Education and Social Services at University of Strathclyde (360 Credits) I would love to embark on a Primary School Teaching career but I do not have Maths or science GCSE's. I will start a Maths course through Open Uni in January but im so daunted at starting Science after so many years. Is there an alternative way to get into teaching without this science qualification?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Here is the official information: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/eligibility-for-teacher-training

Basically, it is up to your training provider. There's nothing to stop you applying without a science GCSE, but they might choose not to accept you on the basis of it. Perhaps it's worth contacting the training providers you are interested in and asking their advice.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

If you contact the ITT provider you are interested in doing the qualification at they will be able to tell you what equivalency tests they'd accept, but you are going to have to show you have enough knowledge in it to teach it competently.

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

As a primary teacher you will undoubtedly need to know a bit of science to be able to teach your students the full curriculum. If you want to be a teacher then I assume you would want to be proficient and knowledgeable in all that you teach so were I in your position I would bite the bullet and get the science qualification so you share an equal standing with your colleagues.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

This is just one subject in primary, they are expected to know them all. Believe me, you need your GCSEs.

C7AE2539-5E5D-47D6-91FE-755AD794B009.jpeg 182B4269-874B-4363-9418-F29235CF7A65.jpeg

agathamorse, Shedman and PGCE_tutor like this.