1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Qualifications in SEN

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by anthonybiggs, Jun 19, 2011.

  1. Hi, Just wondering what qualifications people have done in SEN or anything teaching related that i can do to add to my CPD.

    Many thanks
  2. Hi, Just wondering what qualifications people have done in SEN or anything teaching related that i can do to add to my CPD.

    Many thanks
  3. Dodros

    Dodros Star commenter

    When I moved from MFL into SEN in the mid-1990s, I studied for a part-time Advanced Diploma in Special Needs in Education with the Open University. I had already done an MA in German and an MEd in comparative education in the 1970s and 1980s, so I knew what part-time study involved and the Open University SEN course fitted the bill admirably. I no longer wanted to sit in a university classroom alongside other knackered teachers after a full day's work at the chalk-face and the OU only offered a few Saturday morning sessions on a voluntary basis, which I chose to attend. Contact with my tutor was generally by phone and the OU provided all the course materials. The course content was appropriate to my SEN work in school and I was able to use my classroom experience in the assignments. The assessment was as rigorous as you would expect, but the tutorial guidance was first-class.
  4. There are lots of distance learning courses run by universities, you can usually do one part time in 12 months and it would be worth 60 credit points towards an MA. you can choose diverse courses from managing students with ADHD in a classroom to improving literacy for SEN students to doing a NASCO (national award for SENCO )
    If you just want a one day event to improve your knowledge then you could attend the special needs exhibition in October and tailor the seminars to your need,
  5. aowensey

    aowensey New commenter

    I started doing the Advanced Diploma that Dodros mentions, I then had to do the NASENCO award - waiting for results. I've passed the Avanced Diploma but I'm hoping to put both these courses towards a Masters probably with the OU. The NASENCO course was with the IOE and they also offer a variety of courses so there's quite a choice.

    I've found the OU courses and the IOE course invaluable as they've covered a wide range of issues that have been very practical.

    Hope you find what's right for you.
  6. Hi all
    just wantd to know can I study for my sen qualifications while I am on career break? Have a sickly toddler so finally gave up work and am expeting no 2 soon. Been workin in SEN for over 4 years but not really had time to get quals, nor support from school! Have also worked in SEN for 6 years before strating to teach.

    DO I have to be currently in post or can I complete any qualifications by drawing on past experience?

    cheers in advance for help and advice


Share This Page