1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualifications for learners with SEND

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by poppym, May 9, 2017.

1. poppym

poppym New commenter

Hello

I am after some ideas/ support on options that I may have for students with SEND in a mainstream school. I am trying to think outside the box but am struggling to get past the progress 8 situation. Does anyone have some great GCSE's that low level/ vulnerable learners may be able to take that will be points bearing for my school?

Help!
    Thanks x

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Entry level (ELC)? Can't vouch for points-bearing status. OCR offers: Art and Design - R310 (from 2016), Computer Science - R354 (from 2016), English - R393 (from 2016), Geography - R407 (from 2016), History - R435 (from 2016), Latin - R447 (from 2016), Mathematics - R449 (from 2016), Physical Education - R463 (from 2016), Science - R483 (from 2016)

AQA ELC offers: Art and Design, Design and Technology, English, Functional Skills, Geography, History, Home Economics: Child Development, Mathematics, Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Italian, Physical Education, Religious Studies, Spanish, Preparation for Working Life, Science.

poppym likes this.
  3. poppym

poppym New commenter

Thanks Dodros. I will look into them. At present we have been working on Asdan English but need to change that.

I need to find some subjects that carry points so that I can have a valid argument in changing the subjects -not that I need one if it fits with the ECHP

4. the4clems

the4clems New commenter

Hi - I too am looking into the use of Entry Level Certificate for our mathematics low-ability set. Edexcel, OCR and AQA all offer I found this based on WJEC info:
    When converting qualifications to school attainment points, Entry 1 is worth 10 points, Entry 2 is worth 12 and Entry 3 is worth 14. This compares to 16 points for GCSE Grade G (the lowest GCSE pass) and 22 points for GCSE Grade F
    I will double this though...

5. the4clems

the4clems New commenter

...should read double check this!