1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Qualifications and Experience for becoming a Head/ Deputy teacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by anon1057, Jun 20, 2012.

1. What are the minimum requirement, qualifications and experiences on becoming a head teacher?
    What about a deputy head teacher? Details please. Thanks in advance.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The ability to research and find out oneself.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's not about 'minimum' anything. My best advice is to take your time, get lots of experience at every stage (be the best teacher possible and be it for a number of years, for example), don't try to cut any corners and have enough humility to say 'I'm not ready yet.'

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, firstly you have to complete successfully your Induction Year - which you haven't yet started, if I understand your other threads correctly.
    That is nowadays the only qualification required, as the NPQH (Google it - don't ask us) is no longer a requirement.
    In addition you need:
    • the ability to do the job
    • the vision to know what job to do
    • the credibility to persuade others that you have the vision and ability to do the job.
    For a Headship, a Deputy Headship, or a Head of Department role (which I see that you are also enquiring about on another Forum), the best way to find out what Governing Bodies are looking for is to actually look at a job advert and read the person specification.
    It might also be a good idea to read the job description - I see that you are unsure what a HoD does to warrant the extra pay.
    So go to the Jobs section of the site and see what posts are being advertised there that you could aspire to in the future.
    When you have done your induction year.
    Best wishes

6. Theo, have a look at the primary thread to see the other posts by H Khan. Perhaps you've wasted your time?

7. Humility helps.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Couldn't see any, then came back here and saw that he had changed his username.
    Wonder why . . .
    Thread 1 How often should I mark a subject's books. Every two week? 3 weeks? Slowly marking them? Or cramming them all in at the holidays? Thanks x
    Thread 2 Hey, I've just completed my PGCE on Primary Education and I was just wondering what happens in an induction year. Is it the same as a NQT year? Are you assessed. All details, would be AMAZING. Thanks in advanced. x
    Elsewhere young anon asks:
    Thread 3 What do/ can you do on Teacher Training Days?
    Thread 4 How do I become a head of a department? Do you have to have a degree in the subject? Do you get more money?(you may think I'm greedy- but I'm just interested.) Do I have to plan extra things aswell as my own classes lessons? Thanks in advance x
    Thread 5 How much of the timetable do you teach as a (PGCE) trainee? Is it increased by the number of months you have been a trainee?
    Now I could be a cynical old baldie and say that with this quality of student graduating from PGCE courses clutching their NQT certificate, no wonder I have on JobSeekers so many unhappy posters saying that they cannot get jobs.
    I wouldn't want to employ a NQT like this either.
    On the other hand, I might just take Middlemarch's view:

Best wishes

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And some more gems from our recently-finished Primary PGCE-er:
    Posted on the Design & Technology Forum:
    Posted on the GTP Forum:
    Just graduated BSc Physics? Thought you'd just finished your Primary Pgce . . . before getting a GTP post in DT . . .
    Best wishes