1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Qualification transfer

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by daisy1603, Jul 24, 2019.

  1. daisy1603

    daisy1603 Occasional commenter

    Hi all,

    I recently found out that my teaching qualification (3 year BA hons with QTS) is not accepted in Australia :( my friend has said that I could do a qualification transfer.

    Does anyone know anything about this? Or any other way of getting it recognised without retraining?
  2. taiyah

    taiyah Occasional commenter

    No way getting around it. Australia, NZ, Canada and US are very strict on their qualifications. None of these countries will enable you to teach, your BA needs to be a B Ed. The reason being, and for your sake going to tell you the truth. Simply because of courses and universities like yours that take the short cut.

    1) Your course is a B of Arts.
    2) Your course is 1 year short of the minimum required of study.
    3) QTS without the B of Ed is not valued anywhere except the UK and the international circuit.

    You can of course teach in the international circuit with your BA with QTS but in the countries I mentioned, your ticket needs to be a B Ed. Australia doesn't care much about QTS because its version is what all teachers must do for their accreditation after completing their B of Ed.

    Because of your drive to teaching in Australia, I feel for you because your university should have been upfront with you. Universities know this and in 99% of professions that require a degree, 3 years of study simply are not accepted. Most courses flash the "QTS" in attracting students. Again, sorry to hear you're in this position. Good luck.
  3. daisy1603

    daisy1603 Occasional commenter

    Thank you for your honesty. This is particularly galling as it was my second degree.
    Maybe an unplanned career change is calling!
  4. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    The world is a large place and there are plenty of places where you can work. Open up your horizons and you will be amazed at what is out there.
  5. taiyah

    taiyah Occasional commenter

    Don't give up. If teaching is something you really want to do then, both time and financials permitting, stay in the UK get yourself a PGCE.. Without a PGCE, you can elect to head straight into the international circuit that's fine. HOWEVER, if you do this you will limit yourself and your option is the international circuit and the UK. As explained in the initial post.

    If Australia is your Eden then you can work internationally, try to get yourself a lucrative package and perhaps after a few years elect to do an MA in Ed. This will allow you to work in Australia... Now..... This also has its warnings because there are "masters" from certain "universities" that simply does not meet Aus standards. Do your research.

    Best of luck.
    daisy1603 likes this.
  6. daisy1603

    daisy1603 Occasional commenter

    Just a quick update, my qualification is on the pre-approved list for teaching in New Zealand so going through their application process instead :)
  7. taiyah

    taiyah Occasional commenter

    Casting your net wider is the way to go. Best of luck.
    daisy1603 likes this.

Share This Page