1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Qualification to teach maths/numeracy functional skills

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by hairdo, Sep 5, 2017.

  1. hairdo

    hairdo Occasional commenter

    I hacve been teaching maths for many years but despite this have been informed that I need a different qualification other than PGCE to teach functional skills.
    Does anyone happen to know what this qualification is and how I go about doing it ie online or at college?

  2. blueskiesmev

    blueskiesmev New commenter


    A PGCE should be fine to teach anywhere. There is not a specialist teaching qualification for teaching Functional Skills.

    You will find people in colleges with no teaching qualifications teaching functional skills.
  3. Babbit_Resources

    Babbit_Resources New commenter

    cazzmusic1 likes this.
  4. swiftblade09

    swiftblade09 New commenter

    There may be some colleges with other requirements, but in FE all you need is to be working towards a teaching qualification. I was at a regional training for current FS maths teachers and of 20 only 3 had anything better than a GCSE in maths. A few had not got a GCSE.

    If you can teach, are qualified, and have experience teaching maths I'd have thought you could walk into a maths teaching job at most colleges.
    cazzmusic1 likes this.
  5. chwinc

    chwinc New commenter

    Absolute rubbish,you need pgce to lecture and qualfications to teach in FE.Lecturers in FE have more experience in industry than teachers.
    kluedo likes this.
  6. gogogulliver

    gogogulliver New commenter

    To quote you, that's "absolute rubbish".

    I started teaching in FE unqualified and did my PGCE while teaching. You do not need a PGCE to start teaching in FE in England, but it's expected you start one before too long. Doing a short course like PTLLS or similar would be a good start and help you decide if teaching is for you. You definitely need good maths and English GCSEs (C or higher) and some kind of further education.

    Lecturers in FE are a mixed bunch for maths and English. We have people who are completing their PGCEs this year and people who qualified twenty years ago in our team, as well as some part-timers who are good teachers but haven't got any teaching qualifications and don't plan on starting (mostly nearing retirement).

    If you're used to GCSE then moving to FS maths might involve a bit of staff development as the exams can be very different. I think they require a higher level of literacy, but the mathematics itself is more "real life0".
    cazzmusic1 likes this.
  7. chwinc

    chwinc New commenter

    So it proves what I said,you do need a PGCE to lecture .If you are not qualified you can only lecture 6 hours. I was a fully qualified engineer but had to have PGCE to lecture.So gained it,my experience as an Engineer and qualifications outdo any teaching qualification.
    So who is talking rubbish?
  8. gogogulliver

    gogogulliver New commenter

    I was contracted for 20ish contact hours a week as an (experienced but) unqualified lecturer and my teaching hours haven't changed substantially since I qualified (but my pay went up, so that was nice). I imagine it varies by college but there is no universal limit on contact hours for unqualified lecturers.
  9. chwinc

    chwinc New commenter

    20 hours, lucky you:( I am on 24 hours, even though I am course tutor (programme leader) for 2 courses ( level 1 full time and level 2 full time) I should get remission for these and for IV work ( which I refuse to do as I do not get the time off to do the IV ) as you say different rules for different Colleges.
  10. hairdo

    hairdo Occasional commenter

    Thank you for your responses. I have a PGCE and have been teaching maths successfully for about 20 years. When I rang up adult education they said I would need a level 5 qualification, but this seems daft as I am already a qualified teacher. Also, I am not bothered about teaching English....and it costs about £1000 which I do not have.
    Is there any way I can learn about teaching Functional Skills without having to do any expensive course?
    cazzmusic1 likes this.
  11. blueskiesmev

    blueskiesmev New commenter

    It does seem odd that they require that of you.

    Most places are crying out for teachers and would snap you up.

    In our department I think only 1 out of about 15 teachers has done the Level 5 in teaching Numeracy. We see it as a way to skill up to teaching maths if you haven't done so previously.
  12. swiftblade09

    swiftblade09 New commenter

    Hairdo: The PGCE is Level 7! Your mathematics course may also be higher than level 5 (i.e an honours degree would be level 6). If they say you need a teaching qualification at at least level 5 - show them your PGCE/degree cert. You can teach in FE with lesser qualifications than you will have, which is why a spec might mention a L5.

    I can only assume the person you spoke to is required to try to sell the L5 qual to everyone, whether or not it is relevant or needed.
  13. cazzmusic1

    cazzmusic1 New commenter

    The easiest way to begin preparing would be to download past papers from exam board sites, e.g., Pearson, City & Guilds, AQA. Some boards also provide course outlines.
  14. cazzmusic1

    cazzmusic1 New commenter

    If you currently teach GCSE Maths, you definitely don't need to acquire more qualifications to teach FS Maths in FE.
  15. saluki

    saluki Lead commenter

    Just look on FE jobs. Colleges are crying out for Maths teachers. Look at the job spec and qualifications needed. I am sure that you will meet the criteria.
    Many vocational teachers in college only have level 3 in their vocational area, plus CETs or DETs. I believe that CETs is level 4 and DETs level 5. You exceed all of these. GCSE Maths comes under academic studies. Our academic studies teachers have a degree and at least DETs, usually a PGCE. PGCE is higher than DETS. FS Maths is lower than GCSE and is often taught by vocational teachers

Share This Page