1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

qualification to teach forward rolls

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misselle1, Oct 17, 2011.

1. A final year student at our school has been told by her university that teachers without a coaching qualification cannot teach forward rolls. Is this true?

2. Hope not. I'll be in trouble if it is!

3. Hi, we have been told that too! We had gymnastic inset last year and we were advised not to teach how to perform forward rolls as we were not adequately trained.

But that we could choose children who performed forward rolls during a lesson to model or show the others in the class!

Not sure what my thoughs are on this!

Acceb

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I was told something along these lines, if you teach/model/instruct them how to do it and they receive an injury you are accountable.

5. I've had gym coach training (to run an after school club) but still wouldn't teach forward rolls to a whoel class. You always get the odd one who slips a forward roll into something else (ie before you realsie that you need to say not to!) and you wince expecting them to have seriously damaged their neck becaue they haven't be taught how to do it properly /safely.

6. Same goes for head stands, hand stands, cart wheels by the way.
    God knows how we survived! [​IMG]

7. I went on a PE course and was told not to teach BACKWARDS rolls unless I had received formal gym coach training. Forward rolls were deemed ok though and we were told how to teach it...

8. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

I wonder how many documented instances there actually are of a child being injured as a result of performing a forward roll in a P.E. lesson?

9. WolfPaul I have seen so many poor examples of teaching forward rolls - I did an audit in my school the other day and the amount of teacher who said "when they touch the mat with their head' or something similar - its a wonder the kids havent died

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Insurance cover and the ever present health and safety regulations are the main worry here and certainly I'm wary of teaching a number of gym. moves for those very reasons.

11. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

Really? Or is the reality that performing a forward roll "badly" isn't actually as dangerous as you're making it out to be?

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

A tad extreme, no?

13. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Blimey people! It's a forward role! Sounds to me that you folks don't particularly like teaching P.E and so are looking for an excuse to avoid it! Go on youtube and download a clip on how to perform it.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

On the contrary I enjoy teaching PE and children certainly benefit from the exercise and different lesson ethos. But in our 'Blame culture society' these days we do have to be careful.

15. This is one thing I avoid doing in gymnastics.

16. Shouldn't we just ignore this sort of ******** by now?

17. tange

tange New commenter

This is the first I have heard about it.
    Does anybody know where I can find this written down officially?
    Thanks

18. The demise of gymnastics is one of the saddest aspects of primary school "progress" over the years. On supply I rarely find children who have any quality attached to agility, I even wonder if pupils ever do pe, but I suppose they must. Forward motion is more dangerous than backward, regarding the head and neck, so the report in one post earlier about forward okay, back dangerous is a bit odd. For both there are training progressions which lead up to safe and quality performance. We used to have springboards and safety mattresses, once called "crash mats", and kids could dive roll over a vaulting box, like you see in tattoos. I trained as a qualified BAGA coach, took gymnastics and acrobatics very seriously, as in running clubs three nights a week, and having many children leave primary able to perform lines of flic flacs, handsprings with extension, lines of walkovers -much like the exotic moves you see on tv in Bond movies etc. The suppleness and strength conditioning prepared them for other sports, and likely reduced risk of injury further on in life. . Doubt if you'll find that anywhere now in state schools, maybe the independent sector still encourages coaching to that level. It is a great loss, in many ways, not just doing agilities, it contributed to an amazing ethos with spin off enhancement of literacy and numeracy and children with behavioural issues etc. When on other threads I comment that I've worked in times with higher previous standards than today, this is one of the reflections I draw upon. But not the only one.

19. School mats these days are too thin to be used a crash mats: ie they wouldn't break your fall. So mats are used to cushion the feet when disembarking from equipment. I use them but explain this to the children. If you don't explain this and use mats then a child might well jump of the equipment and break something.
    Great post Shaltier. I'd love to be able to teach proper gymnastics but the scheme's of work tend to be 'travelling.' [​IMG] I do what I can to spice it up but would love more training to give me the confidence to do more.

20. Apologies for the rogue apostrophe in schemes.[​IMG]