1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Qualification requirements

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lbovey1, May 16, 2020.

  1. lbovey1

    lbovey1 New commenter

    I've applied to several universities to try and get on to a PGCE course. Not to bother everyone with a lengthy backstory, but I struggled at school. Consequently I only have an E in maths and a D in English. I have since got a degree in English lit. I also have level 2 adult literacy that i did as part of my HLTA, level 2 application of number and level 3 communication. I'd presume that having a degree in English means that I fulfill the English requirements, but I'm concerned about the maths.

    I'm perfectly capable, I did a bunch of the old style standard tests they used to do and was getting 70-80 percent. Will my adult numeracy qualification be enough? If I dont have the right quals will I have to go get a GCSE and reapply next year? Or is there something I can so in the coming weeks or alongside the pgce? I'm 38 now so I'm keen to get going asap!

    Thanks for any help and advice.
  2. 43Meadows

    43Meadows New commenter

    Hi, your E in maths and D in English will not be enough even though you have a degree in English Literature. University or a training provider will tell you if you have an acceptable equivalent in numbers.

    You can do maths and English GCSEs at night class through college when we are through the current lockdown, or there may be a way you can do them through distance learning online.

    you will then need to do the maths and English professional skills tests.

    I would think it hard to get answers from any uni at the moment but you can make enquiries as they may well be answering queries via email. It’s worth a try.
  3. rolls

    rolls Occasional commenter

    There are no longer any professional skills tests. There are equivalency tests for Maths and English and these are hopefully going online. My advice is start applying. You may need a provider’s conditional offer to sit an equivalency test. There’s a possibility your English degree may be accepted as equivalent or higher but you will definitely need Maths GCSE or an Equivalency. If there is a particular place you want to study then apply to them and talk through your options at interview, even if you have to delay for a year while you take GCSE. If there is not, then contact a number of providers in your area, discuss your situation and see which can help before you apply.

Share This Page