1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Qualification course advice

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by catherine_s_gautrey, Aug 9, 2017.

  1. catherine_s_gautrey

    catherine_s_gautrey New commenter

    I am looking to volunteer next sept as a TA once my children have started in school so I would like to try and gain a Level 2 Early years qualification but I will need to do online or part time due to child care
    I have contacted my local colleges ( I live in Northampton) and none offer this part time?
    Does any one know a reputable online course I can do? Feels a mine field out there

  2. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Star commenter

    Hi Catherine, I agree - online courses are a minefield and very often don't give you a recognised qualification at the end. You may be better spending a year or so as a volunteer first; this will give you experience and help you decide whether a TA role is for you. You will also find out more about which courses are recognised in your LA, and where and how other people trained. Local authorities often run courses for people already employed in schools, which would run during school hours - you may be able to access one of those. Best of luck!
  3. catherine_s_gautrey

    catherine_s_gautrey New commenter

    Thanks the problem is until both my girls are in pre school and school I can't volunteer hence wanting to do a course for qualifications first
  4. snugglepot

    snugglepot Occasional commenter

    What about volunteering in a nursery setting for a day am or pm a week. It is also valuable experience as many schools have nurseries attached. I think Cache might have an online course. Cache took over from the NNEB so should be good.
  5. rolls

    rolls Occasional commenter

    I am wondering why you are looking at a level 2 course? If you already have GCSEs then go straight to level 3. You may find it easier to find a part then me level 3 course than a level 2.
    If you do not have GCSEs then you need to get at least GCSE English and Maths first as these will be a basic requirement for a TA job.
    As others have said meaningful experience will put you in a better position than an online course.
  6. catherine_s_gautrey

    catherine_s_gautrey New commenter

    Oh I didn't know that? I just assumed I would have to start at level 2?
    Just st the moment volunteering isn't possible so hoped to gain some understanding and a qualification until I can volunteer - and to do something rather than wait and hope I can get volunteer position
  7. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    Most courses require you to have some experience in school while completing the course. We often had people coming in for 1 day a week while studying for the qualification in the evening at the local college.
  8. Teachallover

    Teachallover Occasional commenter

    On the contrary, by entering a level 3 qualification, this is equivalent to A Levels. If you get the grades from the diploma, you'll get the UCAS tarrif points necessary to progress onto a degree if you wanted.

Share This Page