1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Qualification at the end of Year 9

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by AnuJ, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hi All
    Need some help here, we are looking to introduce some sort of qualification that our Year 9's can attain but are not sure what is out there. Can anyone recommend anything? We are looking at:
    1. Functional Skills
    2. European Driving Licence
    But am wondering if there is anything more exciting out there. We have the Year 9's for an hour a week.

Also want to introduce a new Computing GCSE anyone got any ideas or have a course they are doing that they think is great? Either on 4 hours for a year or 2 hours per week for 2 years.
    Thanks alot

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

You're surely not serious on the time scale? These are GCSE qualifications! How much time do history, geography, etc get?

3. You could do Level 1 ITQ, they could do some audio/video/graphics units with this if you didn't want to stick to the Office units. If you sit CLAiT papers doing it through OCR then you can achieve the Office-based units quite quickly, it's also possible to do online WebWise exams and submit the certificates for these to claim the qualification. If any are more able then they could probably work towards Level 2 for some units. So long as you get a minimum number of points at Level 2 you can gain a Level 2 certificate by including some units from Level 1 as well (e.g. WebWise). I've just had an unemployed work experience person with me for 6 weeks having 2 hours of ICT a week. They passed Level 2 Word Processing and PowerPoint and Level 1 e-mail and using mobile devices (through WebWise) as well as the mandatory Level 2 unit within this time, giving them a full Level 2 ITQ certificate.

4. We do ECDL, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it. In general, Y9 students can complete Essentials (L1) in one year and Extra (L2) in the second. I have had students do everything in one year, but they're exceptional. You are welcome to my resources.

5. finamar

finamar New commenter

We do functional skills level 2 with the top sets in year 9 but they find it very difficult. Very few get through it the first time round and then a few more get it the second time. We have them for 2 hours a week but it is a BIG ask!

6. We do Functional Skills Level 2. We get about a 70% pass rate. For those not quite up to it we do Level 1.