1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quadratic inequalities in 9 minutes

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by JackEducation, Jul 3, 2020.

1. JackEducation

JackEducation New commenter

The following video explains everything pupils need to know about quadratic inequalities in about 9 minutes.

Is there anything else you would have included? Bare in mind, I want to keep the video under 10 minutes.

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Video is private

3. JackEducation

Sorry! Had to correct a mistake :D

Here is the video.

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I've always encouraged students to sketch the graph. Your method seems to just give them rules to learn without understanding why it works like that.

5. JackEducation

I use to encourage pupils to sketch out the graph too. I’ve found that over the years, teaching them a concise procedural method tends to get most (if not all) of them to obtain marks in exam questions for quadratic inequalities.

Also, for the current GCSE maths spec, it requires them to solve, graph in one variable and represent the solution(s) on a number line. So using graphs, even though it will show them what is happening graphically (and this is definitely a good thing), it is not necessary.

My aim is to create videos that teach pupils everything they need for their Maths GCSE, but to be concise. Very concise.

6. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

Yeah I agree I always teach graphs, I think the connection between algebraic expressions and their graphs is one of the most vital concepts we can teach, especially for those planning on A level/IB and beyond. Also, how does your method distinguish between x^2+9>0 (all numbers) and x^2+9<0 (no solutions)?

I guess in a way it may not be necessary to get the marks in a GCSE exam, but I find such a reductive way of teaching quite depressing

bombaysapphire, badcats and gainly like this.
  7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I suppose it's the difference between teaching for understanding and teaching to the test. If you take the attitude that they'll never need this again, they just need to pass their GCSE, you will teach to the test. Maybe I'm too old fashioned trying to teach them to understand concepts.

Boardingmaster likes this.
  8. JackEducation

The purpose of these video lessons is to be concise as possible . I still teach this procedural method in class but will link it to graphs using software as a visual aid, rather than using the graphs to determine the regions.

The method in the video only works when the quadratic equation has real roots. After thorough research, GCSE pupils will not have to face quadratic problems where the discriminant is less than zero. Definitely an A level thing.

I don't mean to diminish the idea of teaching pupils to understand what is happening Mathematically. In fact, I support it.

However, for pupils that are studying at home and require a solid concise method to achieve the best possible grade, I've created these videos for them.

I appreciate your reply and actively seek constructive criticism, especially from professionals. If you didn't like the minimalist approach for solving quadratic inequalities then you're going to hate the video on completing the square :D

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  9. JackEducation

I don't think you're old fashioned at all. Teaching them to understand the concepts is how it should be done in class (in my opinion of course). But the purpose of the channel and these videos is for pupils to have access to concise methods. The examples in the videos focus on the type of questions they are likely to get in their GCSE exam.

10. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

Video looks good you get a lot more views than I do!

If you don't mind me asking, how are you advertising your videos? I understand if you don't want to share with a competitor though!

11. JackEducation

Hey SparkMaths! Been following your website progression. Very neat stuff.

Competition is healthy. Especially when it is about free education for people. To answer your question, I just post on here or reddit. Nothing major so far, I use as many tags as possible in the youtube videos. I have plans for marketing come September. But need to make more videos before then. Easier said than done.

In terms of organic views, it takes time for youtube to recommend a creator's videos. Summer may not be the best time but come exam season, both of our views should naturally pick up.

12. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

Thanks!

Which subreddit did you use? The ones I tried didn't like advertising!

I noticed that I got more views on more complicated topics, so maybe it's just because I started with the basics while you jumped right into the interesting stuff.

13. JackEducation

The GCSE + United Kingdom + youtube content creation subreddits . You're making a maths platform and free educational videos, that is something that SHOULD be welcomed by any forum. But I understand their rules that trying to prevent link dumping. Let me know if you'd like to discuss marketing further.