1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by philipmewood, Jan 29, 2016.

  1. philipmewood

    philipmewood New commenter

    Hello everyone,

    I have recently applied for QTS in the UK after having been teacher trained in Australia. I am currently working as a teacher in Hong Kong where I have been for the last ten years. I am considering my options and i would like to gain QTS as I may be looking to return to the UK (my place of birth and where I went to school) to teach in the future.

    As I gained my Bachelor of Education in Victoria, Australia when I applied for QTS they asked for evidence that I am or I have been a registered teacher in the state of Victoria. i explained that although I trained in Victoria i have never taught there as I left for the Northern Territory as my first teaching post when I finished my degree. They checked the online registry of teachers in the NT and I am not listed on there either so I contacted the NT education department and they told me that teacher registration only began in the NT in 2004, as I worked there in 2003 they have no record of me.

    I have therefore been told that without a letter from either the Victorian or NT education department stating that I am/was a registered teacher with no record of suspension I am unable to receive QTS in the UK.

    This is despite the fact that I am a British citizen who has previously taught as a teacher in the UK and I have a Bachelor of Education from a recognised Australian university along with 3 Master's degrees in education and over 12 years teaching experience in Australia, the UK, Japan and Hong Kong.

    Simply not having worked in Victoria or having worked in the NT before 2004 and not being able to provide a letter from the education department means my qualifications are not being recognised.

    Has anybody heard of this situation before or come across anything similar?

    I am not sure what they expect me to do, go back to university and study for a degree that I already possess?

    Any information or advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated,


  2. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    NT must have some evidence of your employment, pay roll? I think they just haven't looked enough.What about the school you taught in surely they have a record of your employment. Then you get NT to write an official letter saying the did not do registration at the time you were employed there. I trained in Scotland but when I move to England I had to complete the equivalent of an NQT year, despite Scotland's being 2 years, to get registration in England. That was many moons ago. Good luck in getting QTS. The alternative is the assessment only route which I think you can do based on your experience and if you get a job.
    Kartoshka likes this.
  3. philipmewood

    philipmewood New commenter

    Thanks for your reply Wotton.

    Yes I have a statement of service as a record that I worked in the NT but I have been told this can't be accepted and I need a letter from the NT education department. I have requested this but as they have no record of me I am not sure what they can say. Hopefully it will work itself out, I am just surprised such emphasis is placed on where you have taught rather than the actual qualifications you have.

    Thanks for your help.
  4. MrMedia

    MrMedia Star commenter

    You may find that you need to be employed by a school and once in situ you arrange for self assessment QTS. That's the worse case scenario. Good luck with the fight though - bureaucracy is always a nightmare.

Share This Page