1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by gulten12794, Oct 12, 2015.

1. gulten12794

gulten12794 New commenter

I need some advice...

I have graduated with a degree called BA Hons Primary teaching degree with QTS. I have a job but they are now saying that because I haven't passed my skills test they cannot keep me there and I have to leave. They said I have until January to pass my tests but I have been trying but fail by one and two marks every single time. I have one go left for the maths and literacy. What can I do? Can I still teach? Or maybe do supply? I was told I can't do nothing within education by my school. Are they over reacting or?

Help please

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

"I can't do nothing within education by my school" - I see your problem - but if this is typical then you shouldn't be teaching! - sorry!

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Well you have to pass the skills tests in order to gain QTS. If you fail the tests 3 times you are then banned from resitting for 24 months. In that time it is up to the school whether they would employ you and there is a specific clause in school teachers pay and conditions legislation that effectively prevent schools from employing as teachers people who have failed the skills tests. Again it depends upon the school- both academies and independent schools have greater employment flexibility.

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Surely your university would have known you hadn't passed yet and made sure you did before the end of the course?!

5. gulten12794

I was told about the skills test last minute by my university.. therefore never had the time to do it.

6. gulten12794

I don't see how you can say I should not be teaching. Firstly I have the full qualification to teach as I am a graduate teacher. I have gone through my degree with flying colours and written assignments being my strong point and also finishing with a first in my placement schools. Not only have I been working in schools for over 5 years but I have also impacted on so many children's lives over the years. So I do NOT appreciate you saying I shouldn't be teaching because quite frankly I am more than capable. A stupid test does not define my ability to teach. Watch me in a classroom, see how I am with the children and how I impact on their learning and then you can say if I am fit to teach or not. I have no turned to TES for silly comments like yours then I suggest you find something better to do.

7. teacherwoodrow

teacherwoodrow New commenter

I think they were referring to the poor grammar in your first post. "I can't do nothing within education" should be "I can't do anything". Not being smart, believe me I have needed all the support we can get from these pages, just pointing out why I think they wrote that.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Get a tutor immediately - practise over and over again until it is not 1-2 points below but 10+ above. At this stage, blaming your university is fruitless - be as proactive as possible, get help and STUDY! Schedule the tests for December and then break it into weeks, then days of what you must accomplish on a daily basis. You want to achieve, then make weekly targets to achieve and DO IT.

TBH, my maths is terrible, but my literacy reasonable - if you have failed BOTH, then focus on one for a month and do daily work, schedule that one for early December, and then the other for early January. I easily passed the literacy one (although I thought parts were badly written), but the maths, I am holding off on (working independent schools with AO-QTS in the future), so I know that I need help from a tutor in Maths if I am ever to pass that one.

Good luck!

9. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Unfortunately you don't have a full qualification to teach because, without the skills tests you won't have QTS. I'm baffled as to how you could've gone through a degree course with QTS without realising/being told....?

DYNAMO67 and snowyhead like this.
  10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Because you don't appear to have the required level of using the English language that is a suitable model for any students! If you can't do that then you will be teaching students wrongly as they are likely to copy you thinking that it is correct. Before you go any further this needs resolving. It is sad that you have progressed so far through our education system and not managed this.

11. SHen15

SHen15 New commenter

It would also be very helpful if you humbled yourself and listened to those who HAVE passed the skills tests and are in the profession! Unfortunately, it is a requirement that you pass them.
    Whatever uni you went to, that let you go through the teacher training without passing the skills test, is certainly one to avoid! They haven't supported you well and have given you a qualification you are not able to use.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  12. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I'd love to know which university was training teachers (and taking money) without telling them about the skills tests until the last minute (at least now you do them before you start the course). Do you have any proof of notification from the uni telling you about the skills tests, dated towards the end of your course? If so, perhaps it's worth seeing what your union thinks about it.

snowyhead likes this.
  13. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Students joining the BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS (a three or even four year degree) now have to sit the skills tests in the first year of the course. I am another poster that cannot understand how the OP did not know this - did they not converse with their tutors and peers during the course?

During the recruitment process the school should have inspected the OP's QTS certificate - if it was pending then they should have paid the OP on the unqualified teacher rate until evidence of passing the skills test was submitted.

Can anyone explain what a 'first for teaching practices' is? When I undertook teaching practices during the same course we were judged against the ITT standards, which were evidence based.

14. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

No, you don't. QTS is the full qualification to teach. Gaining a BA (Hons) in Primary Education does not qualify you to teach.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I think many universities like to grade trainees so they go into their NQT as "Outstanding" or a first or whatever. I don't understand it either. When I trained it was pass or fail.

How many posts have I seen from "Outstanding" trainee teachers who then struggle during their NQT year but are convinced they shouldn't be finding it hard because they got a 1 from their placements?

DYNAMO67 and snowyhead like this.
  16. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The financial pressure is on Universities to grade everyone as good or outstanding so....

17. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Thank you @Sillow.

Certainly sets the poor things up to fail, don't you think?

missrturner likes this.
  18. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

It certainly sets some of them up for a surprise when they expect to be outstanding NQTs and aren't. Perhaps it should be made more obvious to trainees that one doesn't necessarily lead to the other.

snowyhead likes this.
  19. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

It took me three times to pass mine, I was in a similar boat as you - only missing out by one or two marks. I actually got myself the Year 6 & 7 rising stars maths books off Amazon and worked through those. They worked wonders for me!

A lot of it came down to practicing the KS2 & 3 old SATS papers. I did one a night, timed. I also worked through lots of mental maths tests to help with my timing. This made a HUGE difference. Really worth it. A quick test before tea every night seriously helped. http://www.compare4kids.co.uk/mental-maths.php

20. Rozario123

Rozario123 New commenter

I recently completed my PGCE from a college attached to a Uni. The college in an attempt to attract students enrolled whoever they could. The quality of some of the trainees was .... Needless to say many dropped out as they couldn't cope. Also the quality of some of the written work produced by the trainees was....