1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS without completing NQT year - working as a EY educator?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lostandnotfound, Aug 12, 2015.

1. lostandnotfound

lostandnotfound New commenter

Hello,

I graduated with a BEd Primary Education in 2010. I didn't do my NQT due to various reasons and have done supply work for the past 4 - 5 years.

I desparately want to leave this behind me and get a full time job where I can start building relationships and be part of a team. It's a lonely world in supply.

However, I would like to become a Early Years Educator instead of a Primary Teacher (again, for various reasons)

At one of my settings that I cover at, they have two positions they are looking to fill. I asked if they would consider me and they asked me to research whether or not I could do that...?

I read the following on the goverment education page;

"Practitioners who started a training programme leading to the award of Early Years Professional Status (EYPS), Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS) or Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) before 1 September 2014 can count in the EYFS staff:child ratios at levels 3 and 6 when they have been awarded the status."

I think that this is saying yes I can?

So I have QTS but without the induction year, is that a bad thing?

Also because I did not do the Early Years route (my degree is technically R to Yr6) will that put me at a disadvantage?

Sorry if this was a bit sporadic. I wanted to get the facts down and not be too waffle-y haha.

Thanks in advance!

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

I would say yes you are qualified but I obviously don't know your reasons, but I would have thought it better to get your NQT year underway in a school first, so you always have that to fall back on if you want to go into a school later. I am not sure what an Early Educator is exactly meaning as the term can vary a bit. Is it in a Day Nursery as you often wouldn't be paid as well as in a school as a qualified teacher. It might not be the right time of year now but couldn't you look for a NQT job in a Reception class or have you since training decided being a teacher in a school is not for you at all.

I wasn't sure why the place you are working in asked you to research whether you could work there. Was it because they can't mentor an NQT or they want someone already properly qualified having completed NQT or your training isn't quite what they want for the age group? Lots of people work in nurseries and school nursery classes with 5 - 11 training but possibly Day Nurseries are looking more for the birth to 5 training. However you can often get Reception experience and move to Nursery in a school as both are Foundation Stage. It all depends on the area you are in and the number of suitable applicants for a job.

3. lostandnotfound

lostandnotfound New commenter

Hello May2,

I had a few terrible experiences during my teacher training and then flitted between longer term supply placements which also ended badly. I came away from it all with low self esteem and confidence. I decided that it was just something not for me personally.

I'm going to work at this setting tomorrow so hopefully I can put forwad my interest properly and then take it from there.

Thanks for the response :)

4. Toddlers123

Toddlers123 New commenter

Hello there, I am a foundation key stage 1 teacher, working as a manager in nursery. Reception is classed as the foundation stage now anyhow so technically speaking you are qualified for a nursery class in school. You could try applying for posts in a private nursery setting as a deputy or on a management post if you have had some bad experiences in a school. I love working in nursery and prefer it to teaching in a school. If you are in the West Midlands you could try a deputy post at the job centre or private nursery websites

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines]

Good luck I hope you find a wonderful career choice in nursery instead.