1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS vs NQT PAY

Discussion in 'Primary' started by VaVah, Nov 9, 2019.

1. VaVah

VaVah New commenter

Hey all,

I need some help. well...

I completed my QTS in 2016, took 3 months break then I December /January I took on a class as long term supply, I was supposed to start my NQT training in January with the school but they advised me to wait until the new academic year (September 2017) explaining the my pay scale wont be affected as I am teaching.

My understanding is that I am supposed to be moving to PS 4 but it seems like I am on 2 going to 3. My gross last year was 2600 p/m.

How do you calculate pay? (Gross pay)
    Do you get Pay scaled after QTS or after NQT?

The P60 doesn't make sense to me.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you all.

2. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

What does it say in the school's pay policy?

VaVah likes this.
  3. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Have you been at the same school all this time or have you changed schools?

Also, if you were originally taken on as long term supply, was this through an agency and if so, who was paying you - the agency or the school direct? If via an agency, at what point did you go onto the school pay roll? If it was September they may have started you at M1 from that point.

Pay is a bit of a thorny issue as academies can pretty much do what they want, the % uplift was only enforced for the bottom and the top of scale so some schools took it literally and others applied it through their pay scale and the end of pay portability means that if you change schools all bets are off the table.

VaVah likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you in England or Scotland?

VaVah likes this.
  5. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Puts you on £31200 pa

That's more than an NQT in London.

6. VaVah

VaVah New commenter

Hey,

I am in Inner London (England)

7. VaVah

VaVah New commenter

Hey,
    Thank you so much for your reply,

I started at the same school, I was supply from December to April (2016/2017). I went on the school's payroll after Easter 2017 (The gross pay was M1 from both Agency and school). I have been at the same school ever since. It is the first school I taught at after PGCE.

Who do i need to talk to? any advise?

8. VaVah

VaVah New commenter

But I qualified in 2016, This is my fourth academic year in teaching (2019/2020)

9. VaVah

VaVah New commenter

Hey,

This academic year they send us letter notifying us of payment change. Mine this year says M4 (Inner London)but last academic year I was not even paid M3 even though the letter stated so.

10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

According to the NEU website, inner London on M3 last year was £32837 pa or 2736 per month. In outer London M3 was £31120 or around £2600 per month.

Looks like your school is paying you on the outer London pay scale.

VaVah likes this.
  11. VaVah

VaVah New commenter

Thank you for clarifying that.

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The best person to talk to would be your school's business manager.