1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

QTS to PGCE conversion / top-up

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Romydanielle, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Romydanielle

Romydanielle New commenter

I am coming to the end of my primary SCITT course where I will be awarded QTS. However, I have just learnt that Australia does not accept QTS if you want to work there, they only recognise PGCE. My SCITT does not include PGCE as it is not affiliated with a university.

I can't even do a PGCE course after this because I will already have QTS status. Does anyone know of any conversion or top-up course I could do that will lead to me having a PGCE?

Has anyone else been in this situation and found a way round it in order to get the necessary points required for a skilled migration visa? Another thing I was considering is a Masters in Education which they might accept.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Romy

2. Aligill24

Aligill24 New commenter

Hi Romy,

I was wondering if you found an answer to this question as I have found myself in the same situation!

Thanks,

Ali

3. tink123

tink123 New commenter

PGCE top up course with the University of Northampton. One year part time online. Converts your qualification into a PGCE! Have a look at their website, there is lots of info on there

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I say this every time I do a recruitment talk. Beware what you are buying for your 9k. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

JL48 and Angelil like this.
  5. daniel_laddiman1

daniel_laddiman1 New commenter

Has anyone had success with this Northampton university PGCE top up applying for jobs in Australia or New Zealand?

6. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

"Online".... Don't take this route as this is not recognised in your preferred destination and in other countries.

I just had a look at this course... I hope future candidates know the difference between a PGCE and QTS. I can't believe institutions have put the flashy lights on the 'QTS' side knowing a PGCE is far more important in getting a job and a visa.

7. daniel_laddiman1

daniel_laddiman1 New commenter

Have you experience in using a PGCE top up and applying to work in New Zealand or Australia?

8. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

I have a (4 year) BEd with an additional year to attain my QTS so qualifications is not an issue. Having worked in one of your preferred locations and mentored/supervised a total of 3 NQTs in both UK and Oz, a BEd and PGCE is far more valuable than a 3 year uni degree with QTS. In all honesty, I am at a ghast that an option without a PGCE is available. I feel for you and others in your predicament. Wishing you all the best.